Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 15th, 2009 20:00

Cant get PC Restore to run via ctrl + F11

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong... I've googled it, even ran a dos based dsrfix program, but it indicates that everything is fine and it Should work.  I thought it might have something to do with the fact that I'm using a microsoft ergonomic keyboard, but I'm just guessing.  Any thoughts would be appriciated.  Just to answer a few thoughts, I've never partitioned the hard drive or done anything other than add the usual software products to the PC.  Thanks a bunch, PB

1 Message

February 15th, 2009 21:00

If you are running Vista try F8 to get to Advanced Boot Options then repair your computer choose your language then onto Factory Image Restore. Hope that helps.

1 Message

February 20th, 2009 11:00

I have the same problem and I am running on Windows XP.  Any thoughts?

6.4K Posts

February 20th, 2009 14:00

There are a number of things that can disable the PC Restore feature for Windows XP.  If you have ever used the Windows reinstallation CD to reformat the drive, or used a partitioning program to change the partitions on the disk, you have modified the special Master Boot Record that is required for PC Restore to work.

To see if you have a chance of getting it to work, start or restart the computer.  Immediately after the POST screen (with the Dell logo displayed) disappears, watch for a blue bar to show at the top of the screen.  About two seconds after the appearance of the blue bar, you should see a message "Loading Descriptor for PBR-2...."  If you have this, your PC Restore should work.

Restart the machine, and during the latter part of the POST screen, press CTRL and F11.  Release both at the same time when the blue bar appears, but before you see the message about the descriptor for PBR-2.  If you are too late releasing the keys, Windows will begin to boot and you will need to try again.

1.1K Posts

February 20th, 2009 15:00

Agree with JackShack, again just adding my two cents

You can use Dell PC Restore by Symantec, a.k.a. DSR utility – if & only if:

1.   Original PC configuration included the DSR utility (for Dell preinstalled Windows XP OS)

2.   Original DSR image partition is still present & intact

3.   Original Dell modified master boot record (MBR) is intact

1.   The DSR utility was installed on most (not all) DELL PC models starting mid 2004

2.   If DSR image partition is still present, it should show up as a NTFS partition of about 5 to 10GB*

3.   If Dell modified MBR has been modified or corrupt, it can (most often) be repaired using Dsrfix tool

To prevent hardware conflicts always first disconnect:

·   All peripheral devices other than mouse, keyboard & monitor (see Dell procedure here)

·   Any non-original build spec hardware devices (upgrade installed hardware)

·   Obviously the DSR utility will NOT fix any hardware problems, e.g. a failing hard drive

* Depends on computer build spec & amount of preinstalled software

February 21st, 2009 23:00

Hi! I have used the Windows reinstallation cd to reformat the drive and the option PC restore is no longer accessible. Is there another way of restoring my computer to the way it was when I purchased it from Dell? I am thinking about using one of those erase my hard drive discs to clean the hard drive, but I am just too scared to do that. Please tell me there is another way? Thank you!!!

2 Posts

February 21st, 2009 23:00

Well... The restore process went through... then when it went to boot up.. it states  that it's starting windows 95 and just hangs up.  What the heck is up with that?  I tried to do the system restore a 2nd time and it went through and said it was sucessfull... but again it wants to boot into windows 95 and is just hung..????

1.1K Posts

February 22nd, 2009 17:00

This thread is well & truly hijacked – so this is to everyone

Read my first reply it clearly explains conditions that MUST be met for DSR utility to work

If you can see DSR image partition is still present, then using Dsrfix tool will normally fix the Dell modified MBR

Otherwise it reports a fatal error – could be damaged hard disc sectors – need to run Hardware diagnostics

Using the Dsrfix tool solution

Few members provide detailed feedback, in particular, methods used to resolve problems encountered when trying to use a suggested solution

Unfortunate, since this type feedback is most helpful to others trying the same suggested solution

An example of helpful feedback regarding use of Dsrfix tool is here

Unable to write a step-by-step procedure here since it’s too long & it’s already available in Dan Goodells web site

Just take time to read & understand the step-by-step procedure or you could easily miss something, e.g. RAID configuration question & any warning type notes (as mentioned in above feedback link)

I normally recommend printing off a copy before trying to use Dsrfix tool procedure & asking a friend to help if you aren’t confident about creating & using DOS boot devices & commands etc..

If you’d rather do a clean install, it’s explained in the same above mentioned feedback linked thread

February 23rd, 2009 22:00

OK, so I looked at the DSR utility on my computer, and the only thing that is there is a removal tool.  What does this mean? Basically, what I want to do is wipe the hard drive clean because I only have about 5% free space on it (alot of junk). If I use the reinstallation disc, will it wipe everything off the hard drive first? I appreciate all the help on this and am getting a better understanding of what I need to do. I am almost there, so if anyone  can answer my questions I would be eternally greatful. Thanks again!

1.1K Posts

February 24th, 2009 16:00

Hi jerseygirl54

OK, if you were unable to open & read the above mentioned feedback linked thread here

Then here is the XP Clean Install explained again

Warning a Clean Install will wipe your computer system absolutely clean (everything)

All personal data/files will be lost unless first saved to portable media (CD, flash drive etc..)

You need computer supplied Dell OEM WXP installation CD & Dell ResourceCD (Drivers & Utilities)

The best step-by-step procedure for Windows XP Clean Install is here

Clean Install requires reinstall of your computer system drivers, located on your Dell ResourceCD

Drivers required for your computer MUST be reinstalled in a specific order here

Reply if you require further clarification

Postscript Edit

Did you check if actual DSR image partition is present (a NTFS partition about 5 GB)?

If not already done, to see computer disks & there present partitions, do the following

Click Start > right click My Computer > select Manage (opens Computer Management)

Under Storage > click on Disk Management

February 24th, 2009 20:00

Hi! Yes, I have checked for the DSR partition, and this is what I have:

1) Partition  Basic FAT healthy (EISA configuration) 35 MB

2) Partition  Basic FAT 32 Healthy (unknown partition) 3 GB

3) (C:) Partition Basic NTFS healthy (system) 71.46 GB

I have the Dell OEM WXP installation disc, but not the Dell resource cd. If I backed up the drivers and utilities to a cd, where would I download them to when reinstalling, and how do I get them up and running? I really appreciate your time and help in this. Thanks!

1.1K Posts

February 25th, 2009 07:00

Hi again jerseygirl54

Well slap my face – oohhhh dear noooo  :emotion-10:

Don’t know how/why, my mistake – must have been in Clean Install format & proof reading in double blind mode

I should have said quote “Did you check………….(a FAT32 partition about 5 GB)?” – Not NTFS

Anyway, unless you have Dell MediaDirect 3 installed (but normally only a 2GB FAT32 partition), it may be very good news for you

The FAT32 3GB partition you see is more than likely to be your DSR image partition  :emotion-5:

So it’s now up to you, if you want to try the Dsrfix tool solution to fix corrupt Dell modified MBR so you can use the + keys to boot to what looks like the DSR image partition

Note

Only using the DSR utility will Restore your computer system to original factory conditions

A Clean Install will not load some of the Dell preinstalled trial software etc. – some users prefer that anyway

If you still want to do a Clean Install but don’t have Dell ResourceCD (Drivers & Utilities)?

Click on Support (at very top of Forum web screen)

Click on Drivers & Downloads

Select Choose by Service Tag & enter it to obtain relevant drivers

Download the relevant drivers & burn them to a CD then use it when prompted to load drivers during Clean Install

Another very good web site is the late Danny Denham but not sure if all the links in this site still work?

Finally don’t think you mentioned computer model or preinstalled Windows XP version?

This type of information may help point you to relevant Dell Support web site pages

E.g. if you need the User Guide for your computer & Dell Support step-by-step Clean Install procedures for your specific computer?

Hope this helps

No Events found!