Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

September 2nd, 2008 16:00

Chrome from Google

Does anyone have any input as to the advantages of Google's Chrome over Explorer. And then there is Firefox. And what happens to WORD and Excel. Chrome should be released today!

Dimension 8250  Windows XP  1GB RAM  Word  & Excel 

Sherr

Message Edited by Sherr on 09-02-2008 01:56 PM

1.7K Posts

September 2nd, 2008 18:00

Ah, good ole NCSA Mosaic.  I haven't touched that thing in (literally) a decade.  Don't miss it either, although it spawned all the fun we have with browsers now. ;)

78 Posts

September 2nd, 2008 18:00

Firefox, Explorer, both good designs, but with roots dating back to the original graphical web browser, Mosaic.  They inherit some limitations as a result, namely single-threaded designs.  Ever had a script on a page lock up your browser?  You can thank Mosaic. 

What Google has done is, essentially, re-do the paradigm.  Modular design, multi threaded, and most of all, sandboxing the pages.  This means that as the web becomes more media centric, Googles design, in theory, will scale up faster.  No having a script in one window causing hangups in another.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

September 2nd, 2008 19:00

Personally, I haven't allowed any Google software on my PC since the Google toolbar started updating its software automatically  without my explicit consent.

I don't intend to start now. But that's just me ...

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

September 2nd, 2008 20:00

sherr wrote:  "Does anyone have any input as to the advantages of Google's Chrome over Explorer. And then there is Firefox".

these three (as well as Opera and Safari) are each browsers, that allow you to access web pages over the internet.   Each may offer some advantages over --- as well as disadvantages relative to --- the others.   People will go on debating which one is "better".   And there may indeed be some rhyme and reason to the opinions offered.

based on the help i've offered you in the past, there is one thing i believe you need to consider:   the different browsers will "look and feel" differently -- they will offer different buttons, and the "old" buttons you're used to may be missing, or located in a different location.  so unless you're willing to adapt to these differences/changes, you might want to think twice before changing from a browser you're already familiar with, even if people tell you another browser is "better". 

you wrote:   "And what happens to WORD and Excel"

WORD is a word-processor; EXCEL is a spreadsheet.   these are completely separate programs, which have nothing to do with any particular web browser you use.   in other words, you can continue to use WORD and EXCEL as you always have, even if you were to "give up" on internet explorer in favor of google's chrome.

finally, be advised that both internet explorer 8, as well as google chrome, are currently BETA products.   this means they're still in the testing phase, and as such, may still be prone to errors/crashes.   basically, Microsoft and google are looking for "volunteers" (a better expression would be "guinea pigs" ) to try things out, and report back any headaches they encounter.

Message Edited by ky331 on 09-02-2008 05:05 PM

September 3rd, 2008 17:00

I have a basic distrust of Google 'free" software supported by advertising.  Chrome has advertising tracking similar to that in its search program.  Google plans an online office suite as well, taking aim at Microsoft.  There is a good review of Chrome by Mossberg in the Wall Street Journal.

78 Posts

September 4th, 2008 11:00

@DELL-Larry R wrote:
Ah, good ole NCSA Mosaic.  I haven't touched that thing in (literally) a decade.  Don't miss it either, although it spawned all the fun we have with browsers now. ;)

Whenever I get uber-fustrated at web browsers, I load up both Mosaic and the Amiga browser IBrowse, to remind myself of how far we've come....

**shivvers at the horror stories in making websites complient to IBrowse...**

1.7K Posts

September 4th, 2008 13:00

@Downix wrote:

@DELL-Larry R wrote:

Whenever I get uber-fustrated at web browsers, I load up both Mosaic and the Amiga browser IBrowse, to remind myself of how far we've come....

True.  Far too true. I never got my Amiga network capable, but I've seen IBrowse in use and know what you're talking about.

78 Posts

September 5th, 2008 11:00

@DELL-Larry R wrote:

@Downix wrote:

@DELL-Larry R wrote:

True.  Far too true. I never got my Amiga network capable, but I've seen IBrowse in use and know what you're talking about.

I used to work for the guys that made the Pegasos PPC Amiga replacement mobo, Genesi.  You never realize how archaeic a web browser is till you have to modify a CMS that much just to display.....

And here I am, building myself a MiniMig (open source Amiga clone) to go through it all again....

1.7K Posts

September 5th, 2008 19:00

@Downix wrote:

I used to work for the guys that made the Pegasos PPC Amiga replacement mobo, Genesi.  You never realize how archaeic a web browser is till you have to modify a CMS that much just to display.....

And here I am, building myself a MiniMig (open source Amiga clone) to go through it all again....

heheh.  I still have my A500 and A1200, but haven't taken them out of the box in a few years.  If I had the time, this makes me tempted to see what still works (i doubt the floppies have fared very well :|). ;)

And yeah, browsers have changed a great deal in the last 10 years.  All you need to do to see just how much is compare a new 2008 website to an unmodified 1998 website (yes, there are a few still out there) to see just how much.

September 5th, 2008 22:00

David Pogue of the New York Times likes Chrome but it is still in beta and lacks features.  Its "advantages" unless it prevents malware and other infections don't seem that terrific.  It will eventually link to an online office suite.

5.2K Posts

September 8th, 2008 16:00

I downloaded Crrome this AM.

Very stream-lined interface with few options.I like not having half the universe staring out from the browser. Bookmarks across the top with apparently no option to put them into a vertical sidebar.

However, it is sloooooooow.

20.5K Posts

September 9th, 2008 15:00

Old Bug Haunts New Google Browser

Google’s Chrome hit the Web on September 2 with promises of solid security, but not a day after its launch and already, there were reports of possible vulnerabilities in the much-vaunted new browser to make it a platform for malware infection.

More:
http://blog.trendmicro.com/old-bug-haunts-new-google-browser/
No Events found!