Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2009 01:00

Clean installed Vista 64bit SP1 on Inspiron 518 and Errors HELP.

I clean installed Vista 64bit SP1 on my Inspiron 518.  Since I need to download drivers manually, I checked on the dells website.  There are sooo many of drivers that I need to install.  Here are my questions. 

1.  Some of the stuff says urgent, do I need to install them??  or is it already installed in my computer? 

2.  How do I check, if the urgent files or upgrade is affecting my computer??

3.  there is no "!" mark on device manager except SM Bus Controller... what do I need to download from dell driver website to install??  nothing was specifically explained on there for SM Bus Controller.

Thank You very much.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 10th, 2009 02:00

tota1ecl1pse,

Maybe this will clear thing up for you.

How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

Rick

March 10th, 2009 08:00

Thank you but I don't see Chipset or SMBus driver section at all.  This is what shows on Inspiron Desktop 518

-Application(6)

-Audio(1)

-Bios(1)

-CD/DVD(3)

-Communication(2)

-Diagnostics(1)

-Input Device Drivers(3)

-Network(2)

-SaTA Drives(2)

-System Utilities(1)

-Video(4)

There is nothing for Chipset or SM Bus Driver; however, I have ! mark on device manager.  Now what???  non of the section actually don't contain file to get rid of ! makr on SM Bus Driver on my computer....Any help would be appreciated.    and thank you for reply Rick.

March 10th, 2009 08:00

sorry I will little more detail.  My Inspiron 518 came with Vista 32Bit OS installed.  I clean installed using Vista 64bit OS on the computer.  now do I still need Download files from 32bit from Drivers & Downloads Home?  will it work???  I see Chipset category in Vista 32 bit section; however, not in Vista 64bit OS section.

The other question. I guess just one more :)

on Vista 32 bit OS section I see Video section

Intel-Driver applies to: G31/G33/Q33/Q35 Graphics Controller

On Vista 64bit OS Section I don't see the Video section at all

Even though I clean installed with Vista 64bit OS, Do I still need to Download video section Intel-Driver from vista 32bit section and install?

Thanks.

1.7K Posts

March 10th, 2009 10:00

The list of drivers for the Inspiron 518 desktop (Vista 32) is:

• Intel® G33 chipset driver
  • Realtek™ ALC888 audio drivers
  • Intel integrated video drivers
  • Realtek RTL81XX network drivers
  • Drivers for any PCI Express® video cards installed
  • Drivers for any PCI or PCI Express cards installed

It should have the same driver requirements running Vista 64.

March 10th, 2009 11:00

Tahnk you for your answer :)

Just to be little more clear.

Are you saying, I could install download from Inspiron 518 Vista 32bit even though when I am running Vista 64 bit?

Only thing I can think to get rid of SM Bus Controller error thing is Intel G33 Chipset Driver for I can only see it under 32bit section but not Vista 64bit section.

I guess I simply don't want to blow up my computer.... since I heard horror stories related to installing chipset drivers for 64bit machine especially related to Inspiron 518.

14.4K Posts

March 10th, 2009 12:00

If the file is not listed then that generally means the driver is built into the 64 bit OS already. It was with Ultimate 64 on my system.

Since you have the OS installed open up device manager and look for devices with a ! or X next to them. Those would be the ones that would need to have drivers installed for

March 10th, 2009 13:00

"Since you have the OS installed open up device manager and look for devices with a ! or X next to them. Those would be the ones that would need to have drivers installed for"

OK so I have SM Bus Controller has ! mark on there.  My current system is Vista 64bit; however, there is no file available from driver section from dell to fix this.  Only file which might fix is under Vista 32 bit section driver section.  Vista 32bit section actually has chipset section which I can Download.

Question 1.  First of all, (whether vista 32bit section or 64bit section) Which one do I need to download to fix SM Bus Controller???  It has ! on there.

Question 2.  If it is the file under Vista 32bit section from Dell's Driver Website, then Can I still use it even though I am using 64bit OS?

Question 3.  I am pretty sure that it is the file that Chipset section under 32bit Section but I am not sure.  What can I do?

Thank You.

75 Posts

March 10th, 2009 17:00

I'm not sure if all versions of Dell's Inspiron 518 platform will support the 64-bit version of Windows Vista w/SP1, but regardless any 64-bit version of a MS OS will require the 64-bit "chipset" drivers, which are available at Dell's or Intel's web-sites.

14.4K Posts

March 10th, 2009 18:00

Q1. you need a chipset driver. GO HERE and download the #1 file

Q2. When it come to some drivers a 32 bit will suffice on a 64 bit. But thre chipset is the traffic cop and needs to be a 64 bit driver.

March 11th, 2009 00:00

I Download the first one and try to install it; however, it says. " System does not meet the requirement." and Exits. 

Are you sure that is right one???

I called Dell today and what they suggest was that I need to Download Vista 32-bit chipset intel-driver in Drivers & downloads from dell. 

Of course, They said I am not suppose to install Vista 64bit since it came with 32 bit OS installed when i purchased.

To make long story short, as of right now, no more ! mark on there but what Davet50 said is bugging me.  I really don't want to blow up my computer later while I am playing game or something.  I am going to install Radeon HD4850 and really worried here.  Should I simply dump this machine and buy new one if I want to install 64bit OS?

Thank you for everyone's reply :)

4.6K Posts

March 11th, 2009 02:00

... what Davet50 said is bugging me.  I really don't want to blow up my computer later while I am playing game or something.

What did Dave say, that makes you think you could blow up your computer!?

Don't worry about it - whatever it was/is.  Nothing you can do with drivers/software can cause your computer to blow up :emotion-2:

Even adding the graphics card won't do that!  At worst... the PSU won't be able to supply enough power.  It won;t blow up!

You might want to try a free program called DriverMax :emotion-55:

It will scan your system to find out what drivers you have installed, check its database for updates, provide download links for them, and offer you the option to download them/install them using the program itself.

You can choose to install them yourself of course.

It can also backup your current drivers, prior to installing the updates, and you can use the backup file to retore the original drivers, should one or other of the updates cause some kind of problem.

It's not guaranteed to find driver updates of course - particularly 64bit drivers.  But you've got nothing to lose by trying it :emotion-5:

75 Posts

March 11th, 2009 05:00

If you want to upgrade your video card you need to consider 1) If the current power supply will support it and 2) the thermal management aspect of your desktop. High end video cards generate a lot of heat. When a PC runs too hot this leads to instability of the platform (e.g. BSODs).

Going back to a 32-bit versus 64-bit OS. We are correct that a 64-bit Windows OS "requires" a 64-bit chipset driver. Another consideration is does your PC have enough memory to run a 64-bit OS? I'm not sure what the requirement is but typically most desktops running 64-bit Windows Vista will have at least 4 GB of RAM.

14.4K Posts

March 11th, 2009 06:00

That is the closest that you can find. If you installed the 32 bit driver and the ! went away then your are ok. You not going to "blow up your computer" :emotion-5:

Again let me echo what a previous posted said about adding in the video card. Check you power supply size.

March 11th, 2009 09:00

Thank you all for the help :)

As of right now, my computer is working without any problem but I will consider there is 3rd party program which can search and install drivers :)  thank you

My current system is

Inspiron 518

64bit Windows Vista Business

700W ModXstream

Sappahire Radeon HD4870

6GB Ram

1.0TB Hard Drive

The only thing i was worried about is I had my computer completely broken before with almost same situation.  It had ! on SM Bus Controller which controls temp or heat like someone said "traffic cop."  I am don't have enough knowledge to determine that if that was the problem or not... but I had ! mark before and one day computer won't start.  I could not even see Dell logo on the screen.  Multiple thing happened I think.  My high end graphic card died  + PCI X16 slot died also since no other PCI express graphic card worked...(I tested really low end one from other working computer).  PSU was working fine since I tested with multimeter.  Just in case, I tested with original stock PSU also but didn't work. 

I guess I don't want that to happen again :)  I hope it doesn't die on me like other one :) 

Thank for all the help :)

40 Posts

March 21st, 2009 08:00

What ever you do, DO NOT try to update the BIOS to version 1.0.7 with Vista 64 Bit installed.  I tried, and killed my motherboard.  The BIOS update will not install properly with 64Bit Vista installed.

No Events found!