Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2008 11:00

Computer no longer recognizes internal CD burner, external DVD burner or floppy drive.

My PC is not recognizing my Dells internal CD burner or floppy drive and also an after market external DVD burner.  Not only are they no longer functional, but when I try to find them under my computer, they are not listed.  I was wonding if I could have lost a windows file somehow?  I would try to run my installation disc...but then again, I dont have a drive to use.  Is there a way I can scan my PC somewhere for program errors.  I doubt that this is a burner hardware or software issue since they all went out at the same time??  I am running XP and it is up to date with windows updates to my knowledge.  Any suggestions?

14.4K Posts

December 20th, 2008 12:00

Boot into the bios and see if they are shown there. You might need to do a CMOS reset, replace the battery,

Are they showing up in Device manager?  If the external is usb do other usb devices work?

These drivers are built into the OS and as such there are no other drivers for them.

December 20th, 2008 22:00

First check whether the CD/DVD Drive works outside windows environment. to check the same when you start your computer and just 2 - 3 sec later start tapping F12 key. you would find one time boot menu. In that choose Onboard / usb cdrom. If you use OS cd then you will have a message "Press any key to boot from cd rom ....." This message will stay only for 5 Sec. In that you have to press any key so that it will boot from the CD. or if you use any other cd then choose appropriately. If it boots then drive is fine and you have problem with windows. else the drive is bad and we have to replace one. for certain system we will not have external drive booting facility. check with system spec. if it is problem with windows where you are unable to access then you can visit Computerhelp and under article section you will find the way how u can solve the same.

No Events found!