Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 3rd, 2011 07:00

Corrupt or missing System32\Config\System file

I have a Dimensions XPS 400 and when I try to boot it up I get the message that my system32\config\system file is missing or corrupt. My problem is I never got a Windows XP startup disk with my purchase to be able to attempt a recovery of the corrupt registry files. What are my options for correcting this problem so I can log on to my computer again?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 3rd, 2011 07:00

Regardless if you are able to get it going some other way, order a set of "back up" discs from Dell.  Here is the form - Click Me

There is the Dell restore partition on the hard drive, accessed by CTRL/F11 at POST (Power On Self Test) and if you can't get a Windows XP disc to run Windows XP "Repair", you can restore the PC to the original factory condition with the Dell restore, however, this will erase the hard drive and all user data will be lost (why backups are need- not for if it is ever needed but for when it's needed).

One thing to try and it doesn't require a disc, Press F8 BEFORE Windows starts and you will get a menu with several options including Safe Mode and one should be Last Known Good Configuration, select this and see if it will start. 

HERE is the Microsoft procedure to recover from this

8 Posts

November 4th, 2011 13:00

I had the exact same problem with my XPS 400 recently.  I ran the Resource CD with diagnostics.  The tests showed a disk error on the hard drive.  I could have fixed it by doing as fireberd suggested but, I had some legacy programs and data I didn't want to lose (even though I copy most of my data to an external drive).  So I installed a new drive and turned the old one into an external USB drive (though I could have used it as a second internal SATA drive).  When I replaced the hard drive the computer would no longer recognize the DVD drives to install the operating system so I had to get a SATAT/IDE to USB 2.0 adapter to change one of my internal DVD drive into an external USB drive.  Then everything worked.  It took a lot of time to re-install everything.  Even today (a couple of weeks later I got a blue screen indicating a problem with my ATI video driver and had to down load the latest driver).

Very important to do as Fireberd suggested and press F8 to see if you can you the last good configuration before doing anything else.

Also you should do as fireberd instructed and order a set of "back up" discs from Dell.

Good luck,

gcg123

No Events found!