Eric8675309
1 Nickel

DELL computer disc

Jump to solution

Hello when I bought my (4)vostro's  they came with software disc as I requested them (think it was an extra 10-20 bucks)

anyways I had each in a separate folder in the file cabinet (not computer and office cabinet) with what disc went to what computer.

Now I am replacing hard drives in 2 computers as they are DOA. and went to get the disc. Wife decided to put all the computer disc in the same manila folder, as they all where labeled at the tab as vostro 3750 and the tag info was listed father down, and she missed that part.. and bless her heart put them all in one folder to "keep everything together  

So the question is, Is there a way to find out what disc go with what tag # and Microsoft key #.  without it trying to load it on the computer I stick the disc in to try to get info off it to match the correct disc to tag#/morcosoft key#

Or am I S.O.L.

Thanks for your time..

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Eric8675309
1 Nickel

Re: DELL computer disc

Jump to solution

Please keep in mind I'm not a tech head.. this will be my first new h/d installs since windows 95. and those were adding a slave.

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

"Is there a way to find out what disc go with what tag # and Microsoft key #.  without it trying to load it on the computer I stick the disc in to try to get info off it to match the correct disc to tag#/microsoft key#"

The discs are NOT machine- or license-specific.  One disc will work for all Dell machines that came with that particular OS.

"tech head"?  That's a new one.

Eric8675309
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

They all run 7pro so any set of disc will work.. wish I knew that before I paid for the physical discs for all of them..  oh well.. thanks for the reply...  

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello Eric8675309,

In addition to what Theflash has said, I would request you to refer to the article on How to Manually install the Operating System. Also ensure to install the drivers in the correct order after installing the operating system. It is very important for the computer to function properly. 

Thanks & Regards
Allan D
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USIndia. For Dell support videos click Here.

If a post answers your question, please click "Yes".

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

Jump to solution

If they are all Windows 7 Home Premium, the 4 discs will be identical and are interchangeable. Each system will have a unique product key on its COA (product key sticker attached to the system, sometimes in the battery compartment). During the Windows 7 install normally that product key isn't used and instead a generic Dell system locked preinstallation key is input. If a valid Dell system BIOS is detected it will automatically unlock and activate.

Follow my Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows 7 for detailed instructions:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
Eric8675309
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

THANKS EVERYONE

0 Kudos