Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 15th, 2004 15:00

Dell 4600 WinXP Home error message "unmountable boot volume" after applying updates and restarting

Warning - This is my first time using any online forum! If I transgress any etiquette, let me know.

I am asking this for my brother-in-law. He has a new Dell 4600 with Windows XP Home Edition--hasn't has it for very long. He tells me that he was notified of some updates to apply (I am not sure if they were Norton anti-virus live updates or Microsoft updates or Dell updates). After the updates applied, he was instructed to restart the computer. When he did, he got the following error message: Unmountable_boot_volume   technical information Stop: 0x000000ED (0x82364e30, 0xc0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Can anyone tell me what might be wrong and what steps he needs to follow to clear up this problem?

Thanks!

Vicki

18.8K Posts

August 15th, 2004 16:00

DTalesV,

See if the second corrective measure here corrects the problem.

Your first post in a forum is excellent, you identified the hardware involved, the action preceding the problem, and provided a precise description of the error message.

2 Posts

August 16th, 2004 10:00

Thanks for the link to the Microsoft Knowledge Base article. It took a while to work through it all, but I did get my brother-in-law's PC working. I had to boot from the WinXP CD, run the CHKDSK /r and then restart. Running the Chkdsk took almost an hour.

Thanks for the help!

Vicki

No Events found!