Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 5th, 2006 13:00

Dell All in One 962 Printer and Vista RC1 and RC2

I have yet been able to get this to work with Vista. I have tried to put all exe files in compatibility mode for XP SP2 with no luck. Has anyone else had any luck or do I have to wait until Dell releases drivers for it?

8 Posts

November 5th, 2006 20:00

Good luck waiting for Dell. They will not even give an update to when drivers will be available. Why is it that every major printer manufacturer has Vista Drivers? I know that Dell is really Lexmark, but come on... It cannot be too difficult to get drivers ready in a timely manner.

12K Posts

November 6th, 2006 04:00

How is the printer conencted?  Network or directly?

7 Posts

November 6th, 2006 10:00

Direct

7 Posts

November 6th, 2006 11:00

I am using RC1 Build 5600. It does see the printer once I attach it, but when I go to install, it has a problem with the drivers on the disk and will not install them. I have tried compatibility mode on all exe files but no luck.

12K Posts

November 6th, 2006 11:00

Which Vista release are you using?  Does it see the printer at all?

November 8th, 2006 07:00

I am having the same issue, with my 962. Im computer savy and have tried everything possiable to get it to install with no luck at all. Dell said just use the xp in compatablity mode. So I called the CS Center and they walked me thru it step by step and still no install, there dumbfounded that it didnt work. LOL

I also started looking at all there printers that they currently are listing for sale and none of them are Vista Compatible.

I don't understand how a huge company like this can ignore such huge driver issue coming with a huge new OS Release from Microsoft.

Message Edited by hawkins256 on 11-08-2006 03:56 AM

6 Posts

December 17th, 2006 20:00

It's mid December, and there still does not seem to be a fix.  What really annoys me is that a dell web page claims that the 962 is supported on Vista (http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&docid=5E83716B1A9646FFB7BF43C864AA84A8&journalid=2170D1C05ECD11DB8C89B5EEE13E1C35&l=en&s=gen#PHOTO_AIO) but I have not been able to get it to work on the full version of Vista Ultimate Edition (note: this is a production release, not a beta release).

Couple of issues that I am noticing:

1. The 962 installer will not run (even in compatibility mode)
  2. If the drivers are manually installed via the device manager, pages still will not print.  I've tried test pages, word docs, and web pages which at least throw the following error: 
    • An error has occurred in the script on this page.  Line 1838, Char 1, Error Unspecified error, Code 0, URL res://ieframe.dll/preview.dlg

If anyone can figure out a fix, please post, as I would be intrigued.

10 Posts

December 17th, 2006 23:00

I totally agree.  With the public release just a little over a month away, I see no signs that dell is working on them.  Honestly, Dell should allow people to beta test the drivers for the different printers that they have available.

12K Posts

December 18th, 2006 02:00

Dowbload the XP Driver and use it in Compatibility Mode.  Most every XP driver works in RTM in this mode.

7 Posts

December 18th, 2006 02:00

Have tried that. I have tried it with the 962 as well as the 966. The software tries to connect with the Vista print spooler and then stops the installation. I have tried the XP compatibility mode and it does the same thing. I just wish Dell would hurry up with the Vista drivers.

6 Posts

December 18th, 2006 04:00

Print Spooler Service is set to automatically start and is currently running on my system.  Still does not work.

I am disappointed that something seemingly so trivial is this difficult.  I wonder who should apply the pressure, Microsoft to the printer manufacturers or vice versa.  Either way, this will surely decrease adoption of the new platform, and cause significant costs in support calls, so it will be lose-lose for both.  We may just have to wait until the software is available to the masses to get our fix.

12K Posts

December 18th, 2006 04:00

If you check the Services before you start, you will notice the Print Spooler Service is now off by default.  Start the Service and then install the printer.

12K Posts

December 18th, 2006 05:00

32 or 64 bit, and if 64, was it working with your previous version?

7 Posts

December 18th, 2006 12:00

I am running Vista RTM 32 bit.  Print Spooler is set to Auto & starts running when the system starts.  It is not off by default.

12K Posts

December 18th, 2006 12:00

Mine was that's why I asked.  Are you using a driver install package or just directing the prompt back to the driver folder?  I would just point back to the folder rather than using the .exe setup files.
No Events found!