Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 19th, 2017 08:00

Dell BIOS Update in Windows

We have been experiencing issues executing the BIOS update from within Windows.  All our systems are Windows 7 Enterprise with latest patches.  When running the BIOS update, the machine will hang and explorer process will crash.  No progress or indication that the application is running are present.  

Has anyone else seen this issue with the latest BIOS packages?  

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 19th, 2017 11:00

For us or our users to assist in troubleshooting, we need more information.
* What specific Dell computer models?
* What BIOS are you trying to install? You need to install each BIOS in order of oldest to newest

Laptop Instructions =
- Disconnect all external peripherals from the laptop
- The AC adapter must be connected
- Close all unnecessary applications
- Download the BIOS to the windows desktop
- Run the BIOS
- You must allow the BIOS itself to restart the computer. Do NOT force a restart manually. This could break the motherboard

3 Posts

June 19th, 2017 11:00

The issue seems unrelated to system model, this occurs on T1650, T1700, 5404, and 6430.  I am trying to see if anyone has experienced a situation where when launching the BIOS executable in Windows, the system will give no prompts and will hang the OS.  Running the same BIOS file pre-Windows will work as expected and update flawlessly.  

I am hoping to rule out any issues with the package itself.  I am going to test on a machine that doesn't have our 3rd party software installed to rule that out.  Thank you.  

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 20th, 2017 07:00

So two Precision desktops and two Latitude laptops. Agreed, unrelated to system models. Are any of the four using the Dell shipped operating system image? Or are all four using your customized operating system image?

No Events found!