Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 12th, 2010 16:00

Dell Dock...Gone

I have a new Inspiron running Windows 7,  Last night I acccepted an update from Java and then got a message that "The Dell Dock Has encountered a problem and needs to close......Please tell Dell about this problem"  it says an error report has been created, but when I try to send the error report it  comes back "Threr was an error please try again"  at the same time ther is a dialogue box that comes up saying that "Dell Dock has stopped working Windows is trying to find a solution to this problem"

I tried to do a system restore, but the only date I have to restore it back to  is this morning, and the Dock was not working at that time

I also downloaded the Dell Dock and installed it but no go..

I have never done a Factory restore and am not sure if the lack of the Dell Dock is worth it, Could the Java update have caused this?  Has anyone got a fix for this or have any ideas?? 

7 Posts

March 14th, 2012 06:00

I found this on a Microsoft Windows forum.  AND IT WORKS !!!

In Windows 7 the file

"C:\Users\ \AppData\Local\Stardock_Corporation\DellDock.exe_Url_zerevpyj2cwvrpvdb3tli4avbxq3yq3p\2.5.0.1527\user.config"

tends to get corrupted, expecially when an abnormal Windows shutdown or hung-up.

Delete the all directory "C:\Users\ \AppData\Local\Stardock_Corporation" and restart DellDock.  

The directory will get regenerated and the program is up and running.  

You dont need to uninstall or reinstall anything.  

7 Posts

March 14th, 2012 06:00

I found this on a Microsoft Windows forum.  AND IT WORKS !!!

In Windows 7 the file

"C:\Users\ \AppData\Local\Stardock_Corporation\DellDock.exe_Url_zerevpyj2cwvrpvdb3tli4avbxq3yq3p\2.5.0.1527\user.config"

tends to get corrupted, expecially when an abnormal Windows shutdown or hung-up.

Delete the all directory "C:\Users\ \AppData\Local\Stardock_Corporation" and restart DellDock.  

The directory will get regenerated and the program is up and running.  

You dont need to uninstall or reinstall anything.  

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 12th, 2010 17:00

Download Search Everything and install it. After you open it and wait until it scans the computer, the type

Dell Dock

Delete all the entries that you see. Restart your computer. Now try installing Dell Dock

What happens?

Rick

64 Posts

October 19th, 2010 15:00

I had problems like this with dell dock not working, tried re-installing…that failed…did an un-install rebooted and then re-installed…that also, failed…did another un-install and then delete all references to Dell Dock on my system and in the Registry and rebooted…went to WWW.DELLDOCK.COM and downloaded the version for another Dell computer…then executed the downloaded version (DellDock16a_setup_ENG.exe)…That WORKED AND EVERYTHING SEEMS OK NOW! Believe the consistent failures were due to Registry problems with Dell Dock.

1 Message

March 24th, 2012 12:00

Thanks for your help. I tried a lot of the quick installs and they didn't work, but your link worked. :emotion-2:

14 Posts

November 2nd, 2015 12:00

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! This has been eating at me for 2 weeks and finally, DONE!

Awesome! And thanks again!!!

Sean Elliott H.

P.S. I upgraded my Win7 to Win10 (Dock worked fine after the upgrade to Win10 for months and then for no reason it just suddenly stopped loading) and applied the exact same fix and it worked, just as you said, the very first try.

August 14th, 2021 21:00

Worked Perfectly!!!

Thank you

No Events found!