Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

August 5th, 2011 09:00

Dell Mediadirect 3 on XPS M1530

Hi, this laptop has default windows vista home premium and media direct installed. But one day, I reformatted it and changed it to windows 7. I only deleted the partition of the windows but I have not touch the partition of the media direct. Now that partition is still here. So here is my problem:

How do I fix the media direct problem?, when I press the media direct button at startup, it says that " can't access your hard drive, bit locker might be turned on".

How should I fix it. I want to use media direct. Please look at my scenario above. My Media direct partition is 3GB in size. Is there a way to reinstall media direct without reformatting windows? Anyway I haven't touch the MD partition. Thanks in advance.

July 24th, 2012 00:00

I formatted mine with vista 64 bit and MediaDirect does NOT work with vista 64. At least I cannot find a working version of mediadirect for vista 64 and I believe that windows 7 is a 64 bit operating system.

3.7K Posts

July 24th, 2012 08:00

I formatted mine with vista 64 bit and MediaDirect does NOT work with vista 64. At least I cannot find a working version of mediadirect for vista 64 and I believe that windows 7 is a 64 bit operating system.

Dell ships it's win 7, as a 64bit OS, and does not ship Media Direct with win 7. When Media Direct first came out, it was shipped with win XP 32bit, as far as I know, there is no 64 bit Media Direct. 

July 30th, 2012 20:00

Actually when I bought my XPS M1530, it came with vista home premium 32 bit. So it does at least work with vista. However, when I tried installing mediadriect, I was doing it wrong and I now know how it is done. I have yet to find any 32 bit software that I cannot install on my vista 64 bit under the x86 side of vista 64. My only problem is that I have been messing with it so long that I don't really want to format my HD again just to see if it will work. But I know I will. I have been thinking about it now for a while and knowing me the way I know me, I will be doing it just to find out. I will post my reply here if it works and I am almost positive hopefully thinking maybe that if I cross my fingers just right that it will work. LOL

July 30th, 2012 21:00

Ok, Here is what i did for anybody that has the XPS M1530 with Media Direct. If you upgrade your laptop as I did mine with Vista Ultimate 64 Bit, you CAN use Media Direct. It does work, but you just have to do what I don't usually do and that is read the directions. I did not understand the directions at first but several formats later, I do and here are the instructions. I can only write this from a formatting perspective.

1. Put in your operating system and boot up as if you are going to reformat your hard drive. (you are) As stated in the instruction, "Prepare your Hard Drive for installing your OS.

2. So go through the motions of putting in your key code and when you get to the options area for what to do with the Hard Drive, Delete all your partitions till there are no partitions and then format the drive. Once you are done with that, Shut your computer down without installing your OS.

3, Insert your Media Direct CD and boot up your PC and follow the onscreen options. I chose option 1 since my HD is small. If you have a larger HD, you might select option 2 and then select the size of that partition. Once you have made your selection, eject the Media Direct CD and put your operating system back in and then hit any key and this will send you back into installing your Operating system as if you never started. This time, allow the operating system to install completely. When you are completely done with the install, put the Media Direct CD back in and install it and it will work just fine.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this will also work with Windows 7. Don't quote me on that, but I am sure it will.

July 30th, 2012 21:00

I know it has been a while, but I have put in my solution down below.

December 20th, 2012 18:00

my laptop never cam with media direct only factory image and hard drive failed  warranty expired where and how do I get the disks

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 20th, 2012 18:00

You need to contact Technical Support and request a Reinstallation DVD and a Media Direct DVD, See instructions in my poll here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/t/19476992.aspx

Also follow the instructions in my wiki Windows Reinstallation Guide:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19480753.aspx

No Events found!