Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2013 02:00

Dell OEM Certificate missing from PC

I recently upgraded my Dell system to Windows 8 and I just realized the DELL OEM Certificate on the system is gone.

How do I reinstall the Dell OEM Certificate? Someone please help.

1.8K Posts

February 13th, 2013 08:00

Hi Tribox,

In order to assist you in a better way, please provide me the following details:

• Did you perform a clean installation of Windows 8 (format hard drive and then install) or upgrade Windows 8?
  • From where did you purchase the Windows 8 upgrade?
  • Did you get any prompt for activation of Windows 8?

OEM certificates cannot be re-installed. Operating system installed on Dell computers is an OEM version and does not require any activation. OEM version of Operating system will not require any product key and is pre-activated by Microsoft for Dell customers. 

Please reply for further clarification. 

3 Posts

February 14th, 2013 23:00

Thanks DELL-Chinmay.

I purchased windows 8 through the windows 8 upgrade assistant.

And I just did an upgrade of my windows 7, keeping my settings and documents. I only got a prompt to activate media center.

Everything worked perfectly till I ran into trouble with some windows 8 apps. I then visited one of the forums that suggested refreshing. Thinking that it was only the apps that came with windows 8 that will be removed, I went straight ahead and refreshed the system loosing all installed software and drivers in the process. I reinstalled most of the drivers and software successfully but Dell Support Center wouldn't launch. I did some system checkups and this was when I realized the Dell OEM certificate was also gone.

If it is true then that I may not be able to reinstall the OEM certificate, will I get it back after restoring my Dell system to factory and doing the upgrade again?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

February 15th, 2013 01:00

You should have your WIndows 7 COA at the base; in many laptops under your battery or for Desktops inside your computer cover (to prevent fading).

You can also reinstall using a Dell Windows 7 Reinstallation DVD which will install via the Dell System Locked Preinstallation Key.

No Events found!