Highlighted
Not applicable

Dell Recovery and Restore (Windows 10) Protection Error

Hi,

I have Alienware Aurora R5 (Windows 10) system. Something went wrong with windows update and I could not boot Windows.

Steps taken:

1) I followed the following link to download the software:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/KeyInCloud

2) I installed it in my different Windows7 laptop. After that I ran it to create Dell Recovery and Restore on a 8GB USB pen drive.

3) I followed these instructions to boot from this USB drive: (Step 2)

www.dell.com/.../how-to-create-and-use-the-dell-recovery--restore-usb-drive

4) After booting I get this error:

Protection Error: The key that you are using is either not entitled for this PC or has been modified. Please recreate the key and use it for the designated PC.

I am not sure what key it is talking about. I made sure the Service Tag used to download the software was correct.

Did anyone encounter this error before? 

- Krishna

6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

RE: Dell Recovery and Restore (Windows 10) Protection Error

Did the system ship with 10, I am assuming it did but just wanted to verify. And when you went to run the Restore did you disable Secure Boot in the BIOS? Lastly, if you did, and it still isn't working it might be worth trying to re-download it. Let me know if this worked

Also, if you're just looking to reinstall 10 (starting over and have everything backed up) another option as long as the system was activated is to just download the Win10 ISO from Microsoft directly and skip entering the key (as long as the system was activated previously it will reactivate). Please note this last option is a bit more involved since you will need to install drivers/software etc directly from Dell, and I don't recommend it if you're looking to keep the original factory setup.  

Best regards,

Brad

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I am also having this problem.  I also made sure to use the service tag number on the underside of the laptop.  Why is this so difficult to do?  I tried using the DVD that was shipped with the laptop and I tried creating this Dell Recovery USB stick.  Others are having similar issues and no one posts a solution that actually works.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Brad, I tried all of these steps and it is still not working.  I am getting this error:

Protection Error: The key that you are using is either not entitled for this PC or has been modified. Please recreate the key and use it for the designated PC.

How is it that I use the service tag number and it still says that the PC is not entitled to that key??

I followed the instructions found here:

www.dell.com/.../how-to-create-and-use-the-dell-recovery--restore-usb-drive

Highlighted
2 Bronze

I am in the same situation, astonished that over a year later there has not been another reply.

Highlighted
8 Xenon

Re: Dell Recovery and Restore (Windows 10) Protection Error

1) A Dell computer that was shipped with Windows does not need to be activated, and thus doesn't care about the validity of the key it carries.
2) In the odd case where #1 isn't true, Dell provides actual license keys unique to each machine
3) Therefore, any computer trying to activate with Dell factory-integrated SLP  is, in all likelihood, not a Dell computer, and thus not authorized to use the Dell computer's license.

The type of key / method they use is called SLP, or System Locked Pre-Installation

Here are a few reasons why you might see activation error 0xC004F050:

• You entered a product key that can't be used to activate Windows. Enter a different valid Windows 10 product key or buy a new product key. For more info, see Activation in Windows 10.
  • You upgraded to Windows 10, but the activation servers were busy. If

Here are a few reasons why you might see activation error 0xC004F050:

• You entered a product key that can't be used to activate Windows. Enter a different valid Windows 10 product key or buy a new product key. For more info, see Activation in Windows 10.
    • You upgraded to Windows 10, but the activation servers were busy. If you upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, Windows 10 will be automatically activated, or you can select Activate and try again.
    • You upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, but Windows 10 isn't activated after a reinstall. Windows 10 should automatically activate unless you made significant hardware changes (such as replacing the motherboard).
    • For additional troubleshooting steps, please see Get help with Windows activation errors.
    you upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, Windows 10 will be automatically activated, or you can select Activate and try again.
  • You upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, but Windows 10 isn't activated after a reinstall. Windows 10 should automatically activate unless you made significant hardware changes (such as replacing the motherboard).
  • For additional troubleshooting steps, please see Get help with Windows activation errors.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Dell Recovery and Restore (Windows 10) Protection Error

I just attempted to go through the knowledge base instructions for "How to create and use the Dell Recovery & Restore USB drive" to factory reset my daughter's Inspiron 15 5567.   I ended up in the same situation others are describing here with an error describing:

"Protection Error..."

"The Key that you are using is either not entitled for this PC or has been modified.  Please recreate the key and use it for the designated PC.

Since I created the key with the service tag on the bottom of my PC downloaded from the website and used the dell "direct key creator", I assume there must be some kind of validation problem with the generated key for my windows install.  

Has anyone managed to reinstall windows using this process successfully?  I'd hope someone from Dell can shed some light on the key installation process and how to fix it for windows 10.

0 Kudos