Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

January 18th, 2018 12:00

Dell Support Assist error

Hello all,

I've downloaded the Support Assist tool to help with updating the BIOS and drivers of the various models of Dell computers we have in house. We started getting the following errors on some of the computers but not all. Having a problem figuring out why this is happening and would appreciate any assistance. Thank you

"There was an error installing the certificate. The installer cannot continue. error: Could not add cert to store."

"There was an error installing the pcdDellCert1946.cer certificate. The installer cannot continue. error: Could not add cert to store."

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 19th, 2018 18:00

Support Assist is not for windows 10 computers. It's only for computers up to win 8.1.

2 Posts

January 22nd, 2018 06:00

Hello Mary, thanks for the response. This is primarily a windows 7 environment. 

1 Message

January 23rd, 2018 06:00

support assist seems to have replaced the driver update tool when running the Driver Detect form Drivers and Downloads pages. if it is not for windows 10 then what has happened to the driver detect tool that was working just fine for windows 10 systems?

and why the sudden change from a windows 10 compatible tool to one that is compatible with 8.1? especially given that windows 8.1 seems to be popular nowhere in the enterprise world.

1 Message

February 2nd, 2018 00:00

Hi,

We have same error code, even we are using W/7 in Avon Ltd office.

1 Message

March 21st, 2018 00:00

I'm having the same problem. Deployed SupportAssist on about 100 new PCs in order to get drivers & BIOS updated easily, and now the users are complaining about the frequent popups saying "There was an error installing the certificate. The installer cannot continue. Error: could not add cert to store".

It looks like this is happening because the users do not have administrative privileges - in which case I will have to disable the service on all these PCs and only enable it when I do updates.

1 Message

March 29th, 2018 07:00

Was there a resolve for this issue?

1 Message

March 30th, 2018 10:00

According to the ReadMe file installed with SupportAssist (as of 3/30/18) downloaded from the Service Tag specific support website:

"The following are the minimum requirements for installing and using
SupportAssist:

* Operating system
- Laptops and desktops:
- Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 and above (32–bit and 64–bit)
- Microsoft Windows 8 (32–bit and 64–bit)
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32–bit and 64–bit)
- Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit and 64-bit)

- Tablets:
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32–bit and 64–bit)
- Microsoft Windows 10 (32–bit and 64–bit)"

28 Posts

April 23rd, 2018 07:00

I am having lots of problems with a new Dell XPS. I checked Event Viewer for clues. The computer appears to go to sleep when it is set to "Never", worse my VMs crash. It almost always occurs at night. One of the errors I see is the SupportAssistAgent exception occurs every few seconds. I also see information events saying the computer went to sleep but wakes up a second later.

I also see lots of Event 2000 about power settings, "PowerSetActiveScheme failed with error 0"

Also If SupportAssistAgent is not for Windows 10 then why is it running on my factory Windows 10?

April 24th, 2018 18:00

Been seeing this issue for at least two months.    I have had a support case open the Dell REC and they claim no one else is seeing this.    I can make it happen on demand on over a hundred laptops/desktops across many different client sites I support.

The common denominator for us has been that the login seeing this error has to be a non-local/domain admin -- user, power user, domain user, etc.

We also get Koala CLI and/or SupportAssistAgent.exe errors every time a non-admin login in.    At some point in the past 2-3 months, Dell upgraded the agent piece of the SA 2.0 install from a 2.0.x to a 2.1.x,    If you install SA 2.0. now, you get the certificate error, Koala CLI crash, SupportAssistAgent crash.    The same installer used in October/November/December 2017 did not have the problem as the agent that is automatically downloaded was a 2.0.x version.

You can also break working systems by uninstalling SA and the agent and then reinstall SA with its installer.   Log in with an "admin" account -- no errors.    Log in with a non-admin, crash 100% of the time on Windows 7, 8.1, and 10, x32 and x64, OptiPlexes and Latitudes.

1 Message

May 2nd, 2018 07:00

Was there a fix for this issue yet?  We are still experiencing this problem in our Win10 environment.

"There was an error installing the certificate. The installer cannot continue. error: Could not add cert to store."

"There was an error installing the pcdDellCert1946.cer certificate. The installer cannot continue. error: Could not add cert to store."

No Events found!