Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

November 30th, 2007 08:00

Dell Support Centre 2.0 fails to install

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop running WinXP Pro SP2. The Dell Support Center has recently notified me of an upgrade to 2.0. Twice I have downloaded a .msi file and tried to install it, but almost at the end of the install process it has displayed an error message. After I click OK on the error box it rolls back to the earlier version.

The message reads: Error 1402. Could not open key:
UNKNOWN\SPRT.ScriptRunner.1\CLSID. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

Has anyone else seen this? Can you suggest a workaround?

12.7K Posts

November 30th, 2007 23:00

Remove the old support software before installing the new version.

Click Me    scroll to bottom (solution #2) and choose your OS for uninstall directions

Message Edited by mombodog on 11-30-2007 07:09 PM

3 Posts

December 29th, 2007 18:00

I also have the same problem. I tried to remove and re-install, to no avail.

My message reads: "Error 1402. Could not open key. Unknown sprt. Conatiner.1\CLSID. Verify that you have access to that key or contact your support personnel"

Any ideas?

2 Posts

December 30th, 2007 20:00

The answer I found was to uninstall the previous version first.

3 Posts

December 30th, 2007 21:00

I guess you didn't read my message. I saw your original post. Unistalled and tried to install the new version. Still get the error meaage.

Message Edited by jeepgrady on 01-03-2008 07:29 PM

38 Posts

June 14th, 2008 19:00

Hi All,

I have formatted my laptop Inspiron 1520. I am unable to install Dell Support Centre. It requires .net framework to be installed. But that is not available with driver DVD. But during purchase Dell Support Centre was installed. Now what can I do ?

Another thing, can anybody tell me the whole procedure of formatting and installing OS and drivers?

Pls Help me.

Thanks & Regards.

-Roy

2.6K Posts

June 15th, 2008 00:00

Roy: Some general answers to your questions below, but your problem is quite different from those of the other posters.  If you have any more specific questions, it'd be better to start a new message at the top of the board.

The ".net Framework 1.1" is actually part of Windows, not a driver.  Not sure why your Dell XP CD didn't already have it (or even if you used the Dell XP CD), but Windows Update should tell you if you need it or not.  You will need a lot of Windows Updates anyway.

As for reinstall instructions, read through the link here - it includes additional hyperlinks to guides on the Web and on Dell's main support site:

http://www.djdenham.com/Install%20Procedures.htm#Install

No Events found!