Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2016 09:00

Dell XPS 13 (2015) Developer Edition - upgrade from linux to Win10

I purchased the Dell XPS 13 (2015) Developer Edition in the UK which comes with linux factory pre-installed. Can I upgrade to windows 10? Does the upgrade void Dell's warranty? Is the upgrade for free, or do I need to purchase a license? I will not be reverting to linux.

5 Posts

January 23rd, 2016 11:00

Thank you. Does that upgrade void the Dell warranty?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 23rd, 2016 11:00

No upgrade to Windows 10 for free for you.

If you want Windows 10, you will need to buy a license.

5 Posts

January 23rd, 2016 15:00

Thank you for responding, but the term "may" in your response is precisely the reason for my question: Is it a Dell policy to (a) deny assistance, on the basis that the system was purchased with Linux and is now running Win10, but at the same time (b) provide assistance to a system that was purchased with Win7/8 and is now running Win10? It appears inconsistent, but I need to confirm it either way.

2.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2016 15:00

No, however if you need assistance they may have you re-install the factory supplied OS to the computer before providing you help unfortunately.

2.3K Posts

January 26th, 2016 13:00

From my experience and from what I've read on these forums, Dell will only provide you in warranty assistance with stock hardware/software issues.  While you are allowed to put any OS you wish on your computer, you didn't pay for a 'license' from Dell for windows so they will not help you.  If you purchase windows 10, all support in regards to the OS itself will have to go through Microsoft depending on their policies and procedures.  

For users upgrading to Windows 10 from another Windows OS via the 'free' upgrade, that is a mixed bag as Dell has been providing drivers for supported machines, but pushing people to talk with Microsoft for any OS related problems if the system did not come with Windows 10 to begin with.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 28th, 2016 00:00

If Dell list Windows 10 drivers for the model then you may upgrade.

They are still going to support the hardware (which is the important part).

No Events found!