Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2010 11:00

Dell XPS 420 (vista 32 bit) - Upgrade to windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit?

Thinking of purchasing windows 7 and considering doing a clean install so I can install the 64 bit version.  Wondering if it is worth the effort vice doing an upgrade over my vista 32 bit, and just using windows 7 32 bit.  Recognize there are advantages to a clean install vice an upgrade, but there is also pain associated with reinstalling all programs, etc.  Would appreciate thoughts on this.  Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 22nd, 2010 13:00

The retail upgrade has both the 32 and 64 bit disks. The 420 has a 64bit capable processor and 64 bit works fine, but you can decide yourself. I have a 420 and I installed the 64 bit and it's fine and set for the future. You can do a clean install with the upgrade disk. Just do NOT remove or reformat Vista before you boot to the install dvd. Select Custom Install and then Drive Options to do a quick format and install Win 7. Don't install over vista, even if you decide on the 32 bit. Operating systems should always be a clean install.

3 Posts

January 22nd, 2010 13:00

Mary:  Thanks for the info.  Recognize can do a clean install from an upgrade product.  Wondering how many drivers you needed to install from the dell web page.  Spoke to dell tech support yesterday and they said to download/install vista 64-bit drivers for this xps 420.  Did you do the same?  Thanks.

No Events found!