Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

January 3rd, 2012 05:00

Dell XPS9000 BSOD

I have suffered the BSOD 3X in the past year. No new hardware. Up to date virus protection.  This is really an annoyance. I have lost many photos and tons of other improtant information.  Has anyone else had this problem with the XPS9000?

• 

16.7K Posts

January 4th, 2012 06:00

timbrockhard,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Can you provide the BSOD Error that you are getting as well as your OS insatalled ? This will help in resolving the problem.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 4th, 2012 09:00

When you see the F2/F12 options on the upper-right corner, start tapping F8 once or twice a second ... you may get a special boot screen for Windows.  You may be able to tell Windows to not restart on error so you can see the BSOD Stop Code.  You can also try "last known good configuration" from that list, then Safe Mode.

There is a system event log usually accessible in the BIOS that may have recorded a hardware problem.  However, in my experience, it seldom records anything at all.  If you reinstall Windows, Windows event log will be wiped out and you will no longer be able to see past error codes (BSOD's are usually written to the event log in Windows).  The event log only goes back several days to several weeks, depending on system activitiy.

January 4th, 2012 09:00

The BSOD flashes so quickly I can't see the error message. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.  I have used my two emergency disks to try to recover my files.  I find it highly unusual that this has occurred three times in the past year. I also have the new Dell Concierge program on-board.  What is interesting is that just before this happened I had a warning from the McAfee program that my virus protection was not working and I needed to activate the McAfee program. The activation "button" was non-responsive. I re-installed the McAfee Security Center again (for about the twentieth time).  Another program recently added that caused the system to be unresponsive was Skype.  I have warranty until March 12th on this system and would really like someone from Dell to remote in (when it is functional again) and look at the entire setup and see what is causing these failures.  Are these errors stored anywhere that I can recover and provide for you? Any help is more than greatly appreciated. Thank you for responding.  Tim

January 4th, 2012 12:00

Thank you. I have tried all of the above without success.  I was unable to boot to safe mode or use the last known good configuration.  I guess I am concerned that there may be a hardware issue although none are reported when I scan this system.  Also, one thing I noticed after using the emergency disks was that it told me I did not have a Genuine Windows installation. Everything is from Dell, so this is not real.  I will muddle through the re-installation.  I thought about renewing my warranty for this system, but if there is no remedy soon for why this keeps happening then I may reconsider and try a different brand. I have been a loyal Dell customer for a long time, but this is the worst experience I have had so far.

• 

16.7K Posts

January 5th, 2012 05:00

timborockhard,

Let us know if the issus continues after formatting and reinstalling windows.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 5th, 2012 10:00

Depending on your warranty level, most warranty coverage includes diagnosis with Dell Support over the phone or chat, with a technician being dispatched to replace parts deemed faulty during phone/chat troubleshooting.  Most warranty coverages do not include a technician to come and do the troubleshooting on site.  I would start a case with Dell (phone or chat) though, as the more documentation you have with them regarding your problem, the more they will be obligated to do.  Just keep us informed as to what transpires.

January 5th, 2012 10:00

When I start it up now it takes forever.  I was able to get into safe mode and install the Concierge program.  It did a scan and tells me I have 256k memory.  I have 8GB installed. Everything moves at a snails pace.  Very frustrating. Ran the sfc/sannow and it may have helped a little.  I am considering a full re-install. I am very concerned about this happening again and am considering a new hard drive with a full wipe of the old one.  Memory tests show no problems.  Running out of options.  Hard to be down for this long considering all the banking and other uses that are being delayed. Should I have a tech come over?  Still under full warranty.

No Events found!