Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

May 21st, 2015 09:00

Dell inspiron mini 10 Reinstall windows Xp via USB Help

I have searched a lot a cannot find a way to reinstall it.

Can someone give me a working guide to make a reinstall of windows xp using usb stick for my mini without cd roon.

Help pls :(

• 

16.7K Posts

May 21st, 2015 09:00

harvis,

I am not sure to get Windows xp on a USB Stick.

You could restoring the system to factory conditions by following the information below.

Start the computer and Tap the F8 key until you see the advanced options on the screen. Choose the option that reads "Repair Your Computer" and follow the prompts to restore the computer.

CAUTION:

This utility formats the operating system hard drive partition prior to restoring the factory image.  This means data on that partition is deleted and cannot be recovered.

If the customer creates a second partition with a third-party utility, Dell Factory Image Restore is not affected as long as the image partition is not removed.

28 Posts

May 21st, 2015 10:00

Do i have to reinstall all drivers after restore? or it will be similar to windows resintallation?

28 Posts

May 21st, 2015 11:00

I need the usb method guide for reinstall windows xp

• 

16.7K Posts

May 21st, 2015 12:00

harvis,

It will put the system just like when it came from the factory. No drivers needed to install.

28 Posts

May 21st, 2015 13:00

Nothing happen when pressing f8  :( what else can i do?

• 

16.7K Posts

May 21st, 2015 16:00

harvis,

Make sure as soon as you turn the computer on start tapping the F8 while it is booting up. There is no guide for installing with a usb key on this computer. Dell does not have any usb keys with Windows xp.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 21st, 2015 16:00

Tapping [F8] at start up is for Windows Vista and 7 only. To restore an XP system to factory settings it was [Ctrl] and [F11] that needed to be tapped upon powerup but the Dell factory image for a Windows XP system was in no way near as robust as it is now and may not work.

It should also be noted that Windows XP is no longer supported. It reached end of life over a year ago meaning no new updates and an extremely insecure version of Windows.

At current there is no point installing Windows 7 32 Bit or Windows 8.1 32 Bit as they will both be obsolete in late summer. Consider installation of Windows 10 Insider 32 Bit:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/download-windows-10-technical-preview-iso/

This is a prerelease version but is relatively stable. Make a MBR (Legacy BIOS) compatible USB as instructed and use this to install. When Windows 10 is released take any promotional deals/possible free upgrades from Windows 10 Insider Preview to Windows 10 RTM.

28 Posts

May 22nd, 2015 09:00

Hi i push ctrl and f11 tapped, but it  start beep and then nothing , begin loading windows.

Why it doesnt work?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 22nd, 2015 11:00

Control F11 only works if symantec Ghost recovery is on the original drive and you havent modified the Master boot record. 

You will need a DELL XP CD and an external USB DVD Drive like a samsung LG GP65NB60

You boot from the DVD Drive and install XP then install the Drivers.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 22nd, 2015 11:00

Sorry I made a mistake hold down [Ctrl] and tap [F11] see here:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Also someone demonstrates it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A8vmqIrO_g

As I mentioned Windows XP has reached end of life is insecure and the factory partitions for Windows XP weren't very robust. Look at installing Windows 10 Insider.

1 Message

September 8th, 2021 17:00

step 1: go too https://www.softlay.com/downloads/windows-xp-professional.

step 2: download the iso

step:3 get a sd/usb drive

step 4: (if using windows 10/8) open the iso.

step 5: highlight all the folders, and then put them on (put device here)

step 6: take the usb and then put it in the computer

step 7: spam f12

step 8: you will see a blue box with various devices like cd/dvd drive, hard drive, etc. you may see a usb option, use the arrow keys to choose the usb option.

step 9: start the setup. 

No Events found!