Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2017 01:00

Difference between Factory Image Restore and a normal Windows reinstallation

Can anyone explain the difference between a Factory Image Restore and a normal Windows reinstallation.

I can easily perform both but I want to work the least :-). I already have prepared 2 USBs one with Dell's Factory Image and another with a freshly written ISO file WIN10.

Is there any benefit in restoring the Factory Image (will most drivers already be installed during installation or perhaps things like Alienware.ath or Intel Turbo Max will also be installed etc.) I know that the Image will come with some bloatware that I'll have to uninstall immediately but I really don't want to chase too many drivers or Dell-specific applications, like I'll have to do in a normal Windows reinstallation.

Any ideas? 

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 13th, 2017 11:00

I prefer clean installation with the Windows 10 14393 .iso, it'll be far more up to date than your factory image and perform much better than a factory image of 10240 or 10586 and subsequent upgrade install to 14393.

30 Posts

February 13th, 2017 13:00

Hi Phil,

thanks for taking part. yes, that was my line of thinking, I've done lots of WIN reinstallation from WIN95 time (yes I'm ancient I know :-)), but never a Factory Image restore.

This Alienware Area-51 R2 of mine is only a month old, is also my 8th DELL computer by the way and I'll be installing the  1T 960PRO NVMe shortly. I thought since I am done pocking and prodding and testing bits and pieces and looking around and all in all enjoying the "smell of a new ... computer!!!" and with the new fancy drive, I thought that I may as well give it a fresh clean and seriously restart gaming.

Returning to topic, sorry, there are few applications, not many, that I'm happy not to deal with that comes with the Factory Image, skype, cyber...something-or-other, office 360, etc., but in the same time there are few Alienware specific bits, Steam, etc., that I like a lot and need. Also there is the drivers that my computer seems to have came with the latest, from UEFI to the dual gtx1080s. Except, I have a previous licence that I'll upgrade the original DELL WIN10 Home to Pro.

Since I have no idea in what state the Factory Image will release the computer to me I need to know if I still have to install these Alienware specific applications separately, as in a WIN10 install and have to chase most or some of the drivers, also as in a WIN10 install. I have that CD that I suppose, since I never looked in any, may be some drivers and even some of these Alienware applications that I'm taking about? Really, boils down to how much more a Factory Image will leave the computer closer to how I dragged the beast out of the box.  

With your suggestion I can easy do with not having to put two days aside and install the Image and if I don't like it go over again with a WIN install.

Thanks.

Regards,

George

No Events found!