Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 29th, 2022 05:00

Difference between Windows Image from "MS Media Creation Tool" and "Dell OS Recovery Tool"

Hi,

I'm curious, what's the difference between these two Windows OS images?

Is something missing from the original image installed with MS Media Creation Tool?
Are there any pros and cons?

Usually, my goal is to maintain the highest possible "software hygiene" - I mean zero garbage, zero unnecessary pre-installed soft, etc.
But maybe DELL's image is better because it contains something that makes the Laptop work more efficiently?

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

July 18th, 2022 10:00

Windows installation media downloads from Microsoft (such as via the Media Creation Tool) will be standard Windows, useable on any brand of PC.

Dell Recovery images are customized by Dell. As per this post Dell Policy for OS (Operating System) Media - Dell Community:

" Dell customization of the Windows image includes:
- Updated patches that address common issues for Dell systems.
- Dell support information. The image provided in this download was configured to be bootable from either a DVD or USB. The recovery image contains the version of Windows that came installed on the computer as it shipped from Dell. '

Since your goal is to avoid installing anything unnecessary, you might do as I do and use standard Windows image from Microsoft. After installing, you would need to install drivers for your hardware, from Dell and possibly from component manufacturers, and possibly Dell-provided applications such as Waves MaxxAudio for sound.

No Events found!