Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2010 16:00

Dimension E310 "Selected Boot Device Not Available"

Hi guys, 
New user here looking for some help. I am helping a friend install windows 7 (OEM) onto his Dell Dimension E310. Here are some specs: 

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 
Dell System DV051 
BIOS Version: A03 
Service Tag:< ADMIN NOTE : Service tag removed per privacy policy >
Intel P4 2.8 GHz 
2 GB Ram 
2 SATA 80 GB HDD's 
DVD +/- RW (IDE) 

The problem I'm having is that I cannot boot from an Windows 7 DVD (tried 3-4 now, all burned, but images of legit copies). I've looked on forums for a solution and have been on the phone with Dell tech support for a couple hours. Dell wont help me without me buying a new warranty. 

I have checked the jumper setting on the DVD drive and made sure it's on master. I'm not sure what else to do. I cannot get back into windows because I have turned on the RAID manager (in which I confirmed erasing all data on the hard drives, thinking I was going to be able to reinstall anyways). I know others have had this problem, please help me find a solution.

2.5K Posts

December 4th, 2010 18:00

Try using the read Windows 7 disk not a copy.  You should not be using a copy.

December 5th, 2010 08:00

I have used the DVD on other computers and it registers fine. The software was obtained through an educational package online. You download the image and burn it to a DVD, it all legit including a CD Key. I have several different versions/copies that all work on other machines. I don't have access to an original windows DVD to check if that's the problem, but I'm looking. 

14.4K Posts

December 5th, 2010 08:00

Sounds to me like you burned the dvd incorrectly.

Where is the original copy?

No Events found!