Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

July 27th, 2008 18:00

Does My Dimension 4600 Support Booting From a USB Flash Drive?

I have a Dimension 4600, and it has the latest available BIOS (A12), but so far I have not been able to boot from my Flash drive.
This site gives a lot of information on doing this:  http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
I suppose another question would be: Does my computer support booting from a USB flash drive?  It would seem so being that it is on the boot menu when I use F12 during booting.
Can anyone shed any light on this?

623 Posts

July 28th, 2008 05:00

Yes, it does.  I use a flash drive all the time on multiple 4600s.  But not all flash drives are equal.  It depends on how they're made to appear to the BIOS, and that can vary by manufacturer.  For example, I've had good luck with Kingston (assorted Data Travelers), but not with Corsairs.

34 Posts

July 28th, 2008 08:00

Kingston DataTraveler 4 GB is one of the ones I've tried to boot Linux to with no success.

623 Posts

July 29th, 2008 01:00

I haven't tried a 4GB DataTraveler, but I have a couple of 512MB and 1GB DataTravelers that successfully boot DOS7.  I don't boot linux, so am not sure what, if any, issues that throws into the mix.

I do have a 4GB Lexar that I use for data storage, so I thought I'd experiment and see if I could make that bootable.  My usual technique is to plug in the flash drive, boot from a DOS CD or floppy, delete/create a partition on the flash drive, format and sys it.  I found that it would not boot if I did this from the 4600--looks like the 4600 BIOS sees it with odd geometry (16 heads, et al).  So I plugged it into a more recent machine (a new HP laptop) and repeated the procedure.  Everything worked, and the Lexar now boots in the 4600.  So, I can boot the 4600 from the Lexar if it's already prepped, but I couldn't prep it in the 4600.  This was with DOS, so I can't say what you'd run into with linux.

34 Posts

July 30th, 2008 13:00

Yes!

318 Posts

July 30th, 2008 13:00

I take it that you have made sure that you're flash drive is using the correct FAT?
No Events found!