Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2009 02:00

E6500 XP SP3 - Standby / Hibernate problems

Hi Guys,

got here 6 brandnew E6500. reinstalled with xp sp3, installed newest avaible drivers. installed dell system manager, but standby and hibernate won't work for me :-(

already asked german pro support, but they don't have any ideas regarding my problem.

tried to fix it via regedit file, but does not work too:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usb]
"EnSoftRetry"=dword:00000001
"DisableSelectiveSuspend"=dword:00000001

still standing at "Preparing to Hibernate" or to Standby.

any ideas?

2 Posts

February 17th, 2009 04:00

done with this posting

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19250827/19431738.aspx#

10 Posts

March 1st, 2009 15:00

I can't seem to get to that article:

Not Found: Resource Not Found

The resource you requested does not exist.

Did you resolve this?  I had previously beat this issue w/ WindowsXP-KB909095-x86-ENU.exe but that requires SP2.  My D820 was reimaged and includes SP3 (which theoretically includes that hotfix) but I cannot reapply that fix. 

Thanks!

4 Posts

March 15th, 2009 08:00

Hi guys,

i just downloaded and installed all the new dirvers for my E6500 (working with XP) and now i have the same problems with hibernate and stanby mode.

just have the blue screen with the message : going to hibernate (or stanby mode) and i have to reset the computer.

I did you solve it?

6 Posts

March 18th, 2009 16:00

I too, have same E6500 problem.  Built/shipped in late Januaryy 2009, with XP SP3.  I found/updated a few drivers released since, including Notebook System Software, Control Point System Manager, Video driver.    To NO avail.  What good is a laptop on the road if no ability to Suspend or Hibernate?   VERY infuriating.  Online Dell tech support could not help either.   I'm DESPERATE to get this fixed!!!  (Booting up in barebones/safe mode doesn't clear the problem either.)   I even found a very recent new BIOS.  Was hopeful, but no joy.....

March 20th, 2009 00:00

Add another E6500 owner to the list...  XP Pro SP3 latest drivers etc. 

I sent an inquiry to WAVE, I feel this is the area causing the issue. Has anyone figured out which DCP / WAVE driver update started this.   I was fine until ... about 4 weeks ago, but I'm not sure which update caused the issue.  (I don't want to do a restore)  On the WAVE forms some .net comment can be found regarding this issue but nothing specific.

Note: on 3/18 & 3/19/09 Dell posted several new updates for the E6500,  including DCP application.

I downloaded and installed  the new DELL_CONTROLPOINT-CONNECTION_A13_R213459.exe  application ( release date 3/19 572MB)   This had no impact on the Hibernation / Standby issue.  (note if you install this turn off virus programs, my first attemp was hugh by Kaspersky 8)

6 Posts

March 21st, 2009 19:00

Unfortunately, I cannot tell whether I had the problem on initial build/delivery (in late January) or if we lost Standby through one of Microsoft's periodic updates (or product installs such as Ghost 14, Norton 360, Rhapsody, etc.  (I did NOT install any WAVE updates until I started troubleshooting this problem!  Unless it was a problem with the Wave driver as shipped in January.)

4 Posts

March 22nd, 2009 19:00

I checked all my drivers, all my materials (with the dell diagnosis tool included with the bios, i installed it yesterday from the driver/software update dell site).

I removed all the Dell control point modules, except the security module (since i'm afraid not to be able to log on again).

Nothing changed : the computer still freeze when i ask to go on standby or hibernate mode (i have the screen going to hibernate mode but nothing happens then and i have to reset it, i left it 6 hours to see and nothing happened).

I think it is the bios upgrade that might have cause that.

i'm desperate : how to work with a laptop not able to hibernate...

3 Posts

March 24th, 2009 03:00

Hi everybody,

I've also had hibernation and standby problems.

after a windows repair when I tried hibernation, I indeed had the API message from KB909095, so that's definitely something I will try.

however, I got a minidump from a failed hibernate and that pointed to a problem with the nvidia-driver. I don't know if this will help anybody...

good news is that I solved the standby problem. I disabled all the "wake on..." functions of the intel ethernetcard in system properties -> hardware -> device manager. (there are about 4 "wake on" functions)

best regards,

Dries

7 Posts

March 24th, 2009 12:00

Assuming you're connected to a wireless network with an intel 5100 or 5300 card...

I fixed this problem with the newest intel wireless drivers. (end of Jan 09 I think.)  version 12.2.0.11.

Here:  http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldId=17228&lang=eng

4 Posts

March 25th, 2009 08:00

thanks guy, but i called Dell support. She advice me wrong and i had my complete system reinstalled : i lost all day to reinstall all the drivers and softwares...

i was very surprise to see that with dell you have to reinstall all the drivers and dell software manually, that's a mess...

The worst : i have not the hibernate option available anymore. And i'm not able to fix it since it seems to have a conflict between windows power manager and DCP power manager.

March 25th, 2009 16:00

Dell posted another update to the DCP (Connection Manager) A14 (3/23/09) This is the the third update in 3 weeks.  Maybe they realize there is still an issue. WAVE Tech Support has yet to directly reply to my two email inquiries, the first one over two weeks ago.

3/24/09; Installed it the new Connection Manager - I Still have the Standby / Hibernation issue.  
(I have also updated Intel network drivers / setting discussed above)

The new Connection Manager is at:  578 MB (hope I got this link right)
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/downloads/en/downloads_splash?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~mode=popup&file=303623

EVENTS viewer - any observations?
I'm getting one "warning":  unable to determine the TPM Security chip state   (This is WAVE error)
It looks like this started about the same time as the Standby/Hibernation issue, is anyone else seeing this?  The times are not connected to the when I issue the Hibernation command.

Keep trying guys there has got to be a lot more of us out there having this issue - I have it on both of our E6500, purchased 2 months apart.

3 Posts

March 26th, 2009 01:00

Hi,

my standby/hibernate problems are now completely solved.

standby: setting the "wake on ..." definitely did the trick. setting them back made the problem reappear. I've working with this solution for a week now and haven't seen it anymore.

hibernate: trying out hibernate almost always messed up my video settings. when it got stuck at the black screen, after rebooting the settings were at 640x480 and 4-bit colours :emotion-7:

so, as recommended I installed KB909095 (I have XP-SP2), then after updating to the latest nvidia driver (anybody having hibernate problems with intel video??), I disabled "hardware acceleration completely. tried hibernate and eureka: it worked! then I gradually increased the hardware acceleration and it kept on working. also tried to disable the power saving function of nvidia (who knows it considered hiberate as "low power"...)

anyway, it's been a couple days now hibernate really seems to be fixed. the only small issue I still have is that the screen doesn't come up again after it goes in power-safe, so I've disabled that. docking isn't perfect either, but heck that hasn't worked very well for any of the laptops I've had anyway...

best regards,

Dries

ps: maybe only one more thing to mention, I did a windows repair last week (so when XP is installed, boot with XP install disk, select "install" option and then "repair"...didn't expect that to work :emotion-1:

4 Posts

March 26th, 2009 13:00

hi guys,

I called Dell support and after 2 hours of tests, i decided to reinstall all the system (not a repair).

It works. My E6500 was ship with pack2 of XP and it works (at least for standby, since i did not try the hibernate mode). When i installed pack 3, it still work but i was not able to set the hibernate mode. When i tried to set it up on the windows power manager it said : "the file is used by another application". I thought it was DCP system manager so i uninstalled it. but it still put the message error. I called dell, we spent 2 hours again to try to find the issue but were not able to fix it.

Tired of that, i reinstalled all the system again, but did not installed nor pack3 nor DCP connection and security manager. One very strange thing : i was not able to reinstall the DCP system manager from my CD : "the file dcpsysmgr.exe is marked for installation" was the error message (the dell support guy did not understand why). I was able to reinstall it from the file on the dell website.

It seems to work now, even if i had a bluescreen going to hibernate mode once on three tests.

Other stuff, i was desperate to see that with dell you have to reinstall all the drivers and dell application manually.

I will do an image of the system as soon as i have reinstalled all.

truly when someone will have find the origin of the problem, i will install sp3 again...

thanks.

March 26th, 2009 13:00

Dries -

Great job in giving the details on the steps you took. Your combination of action is likely a key to the issue, you got lucky as it worked for you under XP SP-2
I took all of these steps but it did not solve the issue on either of my two E6500's (XP SP-3). This issue might be SP-3 vers SP-2. Many of us had Hibernation / Standby working under SP-3 and lost it during an update, but to date we have not been able to determine what caused it.

Keep trying group... we need to keep the thread alive, most likely until additional updates become available.

6 Posts

March 30th, 2009 08:00

I tried, with renewed optimism, to turn off the "wake-on" conditions to fix this problem. I found 3 of the four "wake on"s (not the "Wake on link") turned on and turned them off (within the INTEL 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection Properties).  NG on standby attempt.  I also tried turning off the "wake-up mode" with the Advanced properties of the Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card.  However, when I do that, the card stops talking to the wireless router. (Seems odd it would do thatt, but I'm looking to solve THIS problem, not create/work others!).    I guess I'll just wait and see what else "develops" on this thread.

-M

No Events found!