Highlighted
redbirdacres
1 Copper

Error Message: There is no disk in the drive ...

Greetings,
My nice new computer is giving me an occasional error message of: "There is no disk in the drive. Insert CD in drive C and start again." Smiley Mad Well, I have no clue what this means and the message will not leave (it stays perpetually on top) unless I reboot. That 'fixes' it. What's wrong and how can I stop this from happening.
Thanks y'all! Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
2 Replies
7- Thorium

Re: Error Message: There is no disk in the drive ...

No need to scream at us.

Does this happen when you try to use one specific app? Did you recently play audio CD or..? That app may be looking for a CD. Could be something that may be loading at startup like Sonic, Windows Media Player, QuickTime, etc -all of which could be disabled at startup.

When QuickTime does that to me, I open the app and clear "files>recent" list so it stops looking for a disk in whatever drive it's complaining about.

Next time your error appears, put CD in the drive and click OK. See if that satisfies it.

Also, run BIOS setup and make sure the HD is set as first drive in the boot sequence and not the CD.

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
redbirdacres
1 Copper

Re: Error Message: There is no disk in the drive ...

Hi RoHe,

What do you mean scream at us? I'm not screaming. If you're refering to my preferred font size, I have poor vision and have to increase the font so I can see it dear.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm not sure what CD it wants and my computer didn't come with a recover disk. I'll attempt each 'fix' and see if it clears up.

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos