Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

September 26th, 2007 18:00

Ethernet driver for Vista; Dimension 4500

Hello, I have upgraded to vista and, I believe, my network adapter does not have a compatible driver. In the Hardware Device Manager I see "Texas Instruments CDC Ethernet RNDIS adapter" and it has a yellow excaimation point. I think that means that it does not have the correct driver. Ive been looking around in the dell site for vista drivers for a week now. Please don't just send me a link to the general drivers download section unless you're sure that the vista driver is there. Ive been on the dimension 4500 product drivers section and there is no drop-down selection available for the vista os.

12.7K Posts

September 26th, 2007 19:00

Did you try using the XP driver?

Extract the Dell Rxxxx using winzip or other unzip utility to a folder of choice, then go into device manager and manually update the driver, choose "browse my computer for driver software"  browse to the folder where you extracted the Rxxxx and see if it will update using that driver.

4 Posts

Yes, I actually have the disc which has the xp drivers in it. Ive been trying to update it for days now and no luck. Ive extracted the Rxxxxx files and browsed for them just like you said but the device will still not function. It was working fine before I upgraded to vista so my deduction is that the drivers are not compatible with vista. My last resort is changing the hardware. No idea if there is a vista driver for this piece of hardware?

12.7K Posts

I am only seeing a Realtek or Intel network adapter for the 4500?? No TI??

What driver did you use? R?

4 Posts

September 26th, 2007 20:00

well, in the hardware device manager, the name of the ethernet adapter was originally named "Texas instruments CDC ethernet rndis adapter" but when I try to apply various drivers, the device manager renames the hardware to "intel" or whatever driver I try to use. so I got confused on the exact make of the adapter. But when I uninstalled the hardware (the adapter). and then restarted the machine. It reset to Texas instruments CDC.... If you think that Realtek or intel network might be the actual adapter no the pc then Ill try it. Are you seeing vista drivers? or will I be using xp drivers? Do you have the actual driver names? so I dont get lost in all of the titles? Thanks!

4 Posts

Ill give those two a try and get back to you. Thanks!

12.7K Posts

The only ones listed for that model are GVC (Realtek)  and Intel, I guess Realtek could be using a TI chip, but not Intel.

Unless you have an Add-In NIC. PCI card.

Message Edited by mombodog on 09-26-2007 04:22 PM

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 28th, 2007 15:00

I think your best bet is to buy a new NIC with Vista driver support, because we do not have certified Vista drivers for your NIC. The good news is NIC's are cheap and easy to install.
No Events found!