Solved!

Go to Solution

January 27th, 2015 06:00

F8 Key doesn't go the advanced option!

CS_SystemLabel
XPS 15 (9530, Late 2013)
CS_OperatingSystem
Windows 8

I want to make a factory reset and get back to the first configuration of my Dell XPS, but when I click F8, it doesn't go to the Advanced options, as it should normally be, I clicked repeatedly on the F8 key before and after and and whenever, but it never shows the Advanced options it should, can you help on this? Thanks

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

January 31st, 2015 06:00

I have succeeded as well to retrieve my OEM Windows 8.1 product key :) 

Now I have left two questions : 

1) Why the F8 key doesn't do its job as it should be! 

2) Where the recovery partition is located? I mean let say I format the C:/ Drive, will I still be able to back up to the factory OS, or this partition is located in a separate hidden partition?

Actually my XPS is still under warranty but when I contacted the DELL support they told me by email that they are not able to call me because the PC was purchased from the UK and as I am not located in the UK they will not call me, come on! and after that I just asked for answers to my questions but they still didn't reply, 

Just don't call it premium support because it's not

1. The UEFI BIOS and SecureBoot aswell as the change in the way Windows 8.1 boots. In order for Windows 8.1 to boot faster than Windows 7, there is almost no time for the user to tap F8. This method of accessing the boot options is therefore obsolete as Windows 8.1 simply boots to fast.

In order to boot, hold down shift while restarting. Please see here for details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqqgk2fOtGU&index=5&list=PL1RkaknDn7v88-b9HVWAauoWSHDQhoe4w

2. The recovery partition resides on the same hard drive as an unlabelled partition. See this guide here, when I was testing Dell Backup and Recovery on a clean install using version 1.7.1.2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKJjg0VAkIQ&list=PL1RkaknDn7v88-b9HVWAauoWSHDQhoe4w&index=1

In this version the recovery partition was labelled it shouldn't be and this was fixed in version 1.7.5.64.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

February 1st, 2015 12:00

UEFI is the new name for BIOS.

If you don't have access to the OS, you would have needed to prepare a Recovery Drive. In the Control Panel, go to File History, then Recovery. There you can prepare a Recovery Drive (either disk or Flash Drive) to allow restarting the computer and allow the recovery process. If you DO NOT have the Recovery Partition any more, you will need an OS disk to do an OS Reset. 

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

January 27th, 2015 06:00

Also another question, is there a way to get my official version of Windows that was shipped with my PC, for example from Microsoft?

Thank you so much,

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

January 27th, 2015 11:00

I have succeeded to get back my factory version of the OS which includes the Dell drivers as well.

I have just downloaded `dell backup and recovery manager` software, and I have recovered the factory version,

At first I was afraid to be asked for some DVDs to complete the backup, but it didn`t need any external device.

My question here is how was is possible to recover my factory OS, while another operating system was installed, which make it not possible to have the factory version located in the hard drive,

Thanks 

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

January 31st, 2015 05:00

I have succeeded as well to retrieve my OEM Windows 8.1 product key :) 

Now I have left two questions : 

1) Why the F8 key doesn't do its job as it should be! 

2) Where the recovery partition is located? I mean let say I format the C:/ Drive, will I still be able to back up to the factory OS, or this partition is located in a separate hidden partition?

Actually my XPS is still under warranty but when I contacted the DELL support they told me by email that they are not able to call me because the PC was purchased from the UK and as I am not located in the UK they will not call me, come on! and after that I just asked for answers to my questions but they still didn't reply, 

Just don't call it premium support because it's not

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

January 31st, 2015 06:00

Also another question, is there a way to get my official version of Windows that was shipped with my PC, for example from Microsoft?

Thank you so much,

Yes see my guide here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/download-windows-8-1-retail-and-oem-iso/

The important thing for you to determine is the edition.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

January 31st, 2015 08:00

This problem is due to Windows Fast Boot feature. The boot is so fast that it is difficult to get it get to F2, F8 and F12. The easiest way is to do a Restart when in Windows, but hold the Shift while you select Restart. THis by-passes Fast Boot. You can also deactivat Fast Boot in the BIOS (UEFI), but then you have a slower boot.

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

February 1st, 2015 11:00

Thank you Philip for your valuables links ;) 

Thank you KirkD for your information, 

Now, I have left only 1 question :) 

I know that we can access the restore utility if we access the OS, even with the Dell Recovery utility or through the Shift+Reboot, but in case we don't have access to the OS what should we do to perform the recovery in that case?

I tried your idea KirkD, but I don't see the UEFI as the first option in my Bios!

See a picture of my BIOS: 

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

February 1st, 2015 12:00

I have tried this Recovery method you described as a curiosity and I have tested it and it's indeed working 

I didn't know this trick :emotion-5:

Now I have left 0 questions :emotion-4:

Thank you KirkD for your support 

1 Message

December 30th, 2021 12:00

It says the youtube video isnt available and the method you said didnt work when i did it could you please specify what to do exactly? please please

No Events found!