Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 23rd, 2008 17:00

Format hard drive after error message "file is missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe"

I sent my Inspiron 630m away when it started playing up to have the os re installed.  When it came back it was fine for a couple of weeks and then I got the following message at boot up -

'Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \system32\ntoskrnl.exe.  Please re-install a copy of the abov efile.

I have managed to get hold of the os disks from Dell, but I am unsure how to format the hard drive as suggested by Dell in order to re install XP as I cannot get to the DOS prompt or my desktop.

I have tried starting up from CD drive, but I get the same message as above.  When the laptop went away to have the os re installed they did say that the CD drive wasn't working, but in the breif period and prior to it stopping working the CD drive was fine.

Does anyone have any idea on how I can format the hard drive and/or check if my CD drive is working?

Thanks all

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 27th, 2008 01:00

Did they reformat the hard drive to reinstall the OS or did they use PCRestore to reset the hard drive to the way Dell shipped it? 

Does the CD drive work or not? You'll probably need to get the CD to work, before you can go further, but you can try this in the meantime.

Reboot and press F8 before XP(?) starts to load. Pick Last Known Good from the menu. If that works, shut down normally and reboot normally.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to get the CD drive working so you can try a Repair/Reinstall of XP. If the repair works, you'll only have to reinstall all the XP updates and not all the drivers, software, and personal files.

Ron 

8 Posts

July 27th, 2008 06:00

Thanks RoHe

I actually got a new HDD sent form Dell as Dell Tech Suport suggested it was broken after running a dianostics check.

Have issues now though as the VD drive doesn't seem to recognise the XP disks I am trying to install onto the new HDD......thought I could install via a USB device but again, it doesn't recognise the USB device.

Back to the drawing board!!!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 27th, 2008 23:00

You need to boot from the XP CD in order to format the drive and install XP. I don't know what a VD drive is. Do you get an error message trying to boot from the XP CD? 

Can you boot another PC with the Dell XP CD? If you can, then the CD drive in this system may not be working. 

I doubt you can install XP on the new hard drive from a USB device.

Ron 

No Events found!