Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 4th, 2007 17:00

Frozen on the Logging Off screen

Ive just opened my brandnew Dell Inspiron running Vista Basic. I browsed through the various menus for a while then my machine seemed to get stuck seaching for the 'sytem info' menu.  As i was in a hurry I went to the start menu and chose 'Log off' , but this seemed to freeze too, so I just closed the lid to the laptop and left it. 

When I came back several hours later it booted up as normal but then went to the 'Logging off' screen and stayed there.  Nothing i did (tried Ctrl/Alt/Del) will shift it from the 'Logging off' screen.  Even after closing the lid so it powers off, then opening again just returns me to the logging off screen.

Can anyone help?
(This is my first time using both Vista and Laptops)

edit: UPDATE.  Now the computer won't start up at all.  The only sign of life are the two little LEDs showing that the machine is on.  Does this sound terminal?

Message Edited by ianiow on 04-04-2007 02:35 PM

1 Message

July 19th, 2007 03:00

I am having the same exact problem with my 1-month old Dell Latitude running Vista.  It froze in the Logging Off screen and I can't get it to turn off nor return to Windows!  Can anyone help us?

2 Posts

December 29th, 2008 02:00

I am having the same problem too. I have only had my laptop 1525 for 2 weeks. I have only had it on bout 5 times. It is Froze on "Logging Off"

I am very frustrated, because this is my firt laptop. When reading all of these problem messages....I wonder.. do I need to take it back and get my money back. What is a person to do??

1 Message

December 30th, 2008 11:00

Did you get any help with this?  The same problem just happened to me.  I was trying to shut down before my Vostro 1500 laptop ran out of power.   Once I charged up and turned it on, it resumed windows, then froze in the Logging Off screen.  If you get any help, please pass on.

1 Message

April 22nd, 2009 03:00

Try this. Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) Locate and click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value type verbosestatus in the Value Name box, and thentype 1 in the Data value box

Now, You will see more messages generated on shutdown or Boot-up.

:emotion-1:

1 Message

May 27th, 2009 21:00

Ok well I don't know what that means, because I'm probably computer illiterate, but all I did when this happened to me was press F10 as soon as I turned it back on and chose the Safe Mode with Networking. Then, it brought me to the log-in page where I properly shut down the laptop. I turned it back on a few minutes later and it was normal. I have a Dell Windows Vista Home Premium Studio 1537 laptop.

1 Message

May 30th, 2009 10:00

hi--i had the same problem: My Dell Inspiron 1520 was "frozen" on the logging off screen.  I searched the internet and found no really good answers, but what worked for me was to unplug the laptop, and take out the battery--just to get it to shut off completely.  I'm not sure this is the best option, but it certaintly worked to get me off that logging off screen.  When I put it all back together and turned the power on again, it had a little error message for me, but i just hit Enter, and it started up normally.

1 Message

December 27th, 2012 05:00

I HAVE THE ANSWER!!!

Hi, I had this exact problem, when I shut down, it said logging off for hours, until the battery died. 

So I got onto Dell Support and was transferred to Software Support and was told that the problem would cost €89 to fix!

I hung up. I had a different problem before and the problem was with my McAfee security, so I went onto the McAfee site and went to my account, logged in and deactivated my subscription (don't worry you can reactivate it and get your money's worth later).

Next i uninstalled McAfee from the control panel.

I then proceeded to try and turn off my laptop and it worked!

I restarted my laptop and went back to the McAfee site and reactivated it and Downloaded it again, this took about 8 minutes.

Now my laptop is working perfectly again!

Also as well as problems shutting down, I couldn't open Google Chrome, this was probably linked as it now works fine also.

I wouldn't advise taking out the battery while it is still on. And that would have to be done every time.

Hope this helped!!!

No Events found!