Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 29th, 2008 00:00

Google Desktop error message

My computer came with Google Desktop loaded on.  I keep getting a pop-up box with a message I don't understand and don't know how to fix it:

Original API DLL:C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~1\GOOGLE~3.DLL
          Current API DLL:C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~1\GOOGLE~2.EXE

2.3K Posts

March 29th, 2008 01:00

ARose,

I uninstalled Google Desktop from mine the minute I got my Beast....

I would suggest the same for you.... this Utility (Although I do Love Google) is worthless and memory/resource hungry.... get rid of it, That's MHO.

Peace

2.9K Posts

March 29th, 2008 02:00

I agree with $Guy - Google Desktop can cause no end of problems.

74 Posts

March 29th, 2008 11:00

Do I do that through Add/Delete programs and will it be a clean removal that won't cause other issues with my laptop?

2.3K Posts

March 29th, 2008 15:00

Yes super easy....

XP.... go to Control Panel, Add&Remove Programs.... Uninstall, confirm

Vista.... go to Control Panel, Programs&Features.... right click and uninstall.  Click ok to UAC

You may or may not be asked to restart after it's done.  Regardless, my rule of thumb and MHO, Restart after any system changes small or large.... and you will be better off.

Once you remove this app, you should have a more robust Windows experience.

Good Luck.

Peace

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 29th, 2008 15:00

Use Google's own uninstaller and it won't cause other problems. It will solve them. Google's instructions here.

1.2K Posts

March 31st, 2008 09:00

Google Desktop is just more stupid bloatware. It was one of the 1st programs I uninstalled, closely followed by the Dell stuff...

74 Posts

March 31st, 2008 17:00

I took everyone's advice, followed the directions, uninstalled Google Desktop, unchecked the "Keep My Index" box, got the message that it was successfully uninstalled and shut down and restarted my computer.  Other than the google search box on the bottom-right taskbar everything still looks the same at the top in Internet Explorer.  Maybe it's how it's supposed to look, which is different than Windows XP.  There was also some of my search history in the upper-left Google search box.  Now I'm not sure if I removed it completely, but it doesn't show up under Start / Programs anymore.
No Events found!