Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2013 01:00

HDD Problems - Now Windows 7 is 'Not Genuine' & I Cannot Read COA

I have a Dell l502x laptop, which has been trouble-free for the past two years (bar some issues with stuttering sound).  

This weekend, I had some problems with my HDD, which I think is probably about to fail completely.  When CHKDSK ran, it found some unreadable files and deleted them.  Something related to Windows activation must have been amongst the files deleted, as I am now getting messages to say that my copy of Windows is not genuine.  As my laptop is now over two years old, the product key on the label underneath has become illegible.  Is there any other way I can find what my product key was, or a way of restoring the system that won't require me to re-enter the product key?  I still have access to my data (at the moment at least), so I don't mind doing a clean install if I have to, although I'd prefer to do this on a new HDD if possible.  Does anyone have any advice on how to do this?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

November 18th, 2013 02:00

Yes this has been addressed in Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows 7:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/ 

If you have a Dell Reinstallation DVD and clean install via the Dell BIOS the DVD will use the system locked preinstallation which will unlock and activate when a Dell BIOS is detected. If an incorrect BIOS or a BIOS Dell has not verified for Windows 7 is detected then the activation will be rejected.

If you don't have a Dell Windows Reinstallation DVD you may download a Windows 7 installation .iso from Digital River and create a bootable USB:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/windows-7-sp1-iso-download/ 

You may then follow Step 2 (use the files I list at the bottom of Step 2) and 11b using the activation backup and recovery program which will carry out the same activation mechanism as the Reinstallation DVD. You can simply carry out these 2 steps on your current installation and it should fix the problem.

However as mentioned you should just copy all your data and replace the hard drive. I would advise updating to the latest BIOS revision but only after you have replaced the hard drive and the system is stable.

2 Posts

November 19th, 2013 02:00

Thanks.  Will give this a try.

No Events found!