Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 17th, 2009 21:00

Hal.dll missing or corrupt error message on boot.

Dell XPS 400; Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP3

A few days ago, starting getting the corrupt/missing hal.dll message on bootup.  Got the installation DVD and followed the Dell Tech Support Article ID:117590 procedure for repairing the boot configuration using the WIndows XP Recovery Console.  I was able to boot successfully, BUT - when I power down and then restart, the same hal.dll message appears.  So, I've had to repeat the bootcfg /rebuild procedure THREE more times.  What do I need to do now?  Do I have to physically copy another hal.dll file into my \system32 folder?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

1.1K Posts

September 17th, 2009 22:00

Hi jbltort

Good that you started a new thread, just noticed you tagged a reply for help in the (July) thread

Yes, if the Dell Support procedure doesn’t work, options are:

1. If you can still boot to Windows

In C:\Windows\system32 folder, rename suspect Hal.dll file to something like oldHal.dll

Then copy & paste the Hal.dll file from C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder to the C:\Windows\system32 folder

Reboot then clean up windows paths in boot ini

If that doesn’t fix the problem

2. Suggest you run hardware diagnostics

If any HDD errors it may just be mobo/HDD data cable/connection issue, otherwise bad HDD/sectors

If bad HDD/sectors then you had better save ALL personal data (a.s.a.p.) to external media (e.g. USB flash drive, CDs etc)

If NO hardware errors then either:

3. Use Windows Repair Install using correct Dell OEM Windows CD (I hope it’s SP2 version?)

At the Windows Setup screen press Enter (Set up Windows XP Now)

Press F8 key to agree/accept Licence agreement

The next screen options & up/down arrow selection are critical

Only if the screen displays present installed Windows OS (normally just one)

It will also show the option to Repair the selected Windows XP installed

If there is no Repair option then press F3 to quit Setup

Otherwise press the letter R key to continue with Repair Install

Windows Setup will now start deleting XP system files from HDD XP OS partition then copy the XP system files from the Dell XP CD/DVD, normally takes about 40 minutes

Unfortunately you will then need to download & install ALL critical MS updates (can be a drag)

Or

4. If you have access to a working same system computer

Remove the HDD with Windows XP missing/corrupt Hal.dll file

Install the HDD as a slave drive (using cable select) in a working computer with Windows XP

Boot the working computer

Then use the steps as explained in above item 1, but this time, copying the Hal.dll file from the working computer XP OS file system drive (i.e. ServicePackFiles\i386 folder) & pasting to the corrupt XP drive system32 folder

Also wait until HDD is removed & replaced in original computer before cleaning up windows paths in boot ini

17 Posts

September 18th, 2009 21:00

Bad news Bell Boy,

I followed your suggestions with the renaming the hal.dll and copying from the ServicePackFiles, etc., but it didn't resolve the error.  However, now even the bootcfg /rebuild doesn't work.  The OS hangs up on the Windows splash screen.  I then tried suggestion #3.  I did not see the Repair option.  So now what do I do?  Do I need to reinstall Win XP?  Will I lose all my data?  Do I use the OEM DVD, or do I use the disk image and restore to factory default?  BTW, I ran hardware diagnostic several times with no errors.  Did I mention my XPS 400 has an Intel Array (RAID 0, I think)?  I have backed up most of my data, but it's probably a month or more old.  I would like to keep my data, if possible.  What are my options?

Thanks.

1.1K Posts

September 19th, 2009 18:00

Hi again jbltort

After copy over from ServicePackFiles folder then I doubt if it’s a corrupt Hal.dll file that’s causing the problem

Quote “do I use the disk image and restore to factory default?”

Not yet, too early

And since you have already used bootcfg /rebuild, the combination keys may not now initiate the DSR image boot activation?

Just four questions before taking any further action:

1. No Repair option, did Setup screen show any installed Windows present (normally C:\Windows…)?

2. Any changes made just before problems started e.g. installed IE8 or anything else?

3. Any recent changes made in BIOS e.g. is the boot order correct?

4. Any error messages being displayed (apart from the Hal.dll)?

17 Posts

September 21st, 2009 11:00

Bell Boy,

Sorry I didn't catch you yesterday.  I'm at the office now, but I'll check up on your questions later this evening.  I hope you'll be available around 8 PM EDT.

Thanks.

1.1K Posts

September 21st, 2009 21:00

jbltort

IE8 install question was only asked because it’s bizarrely known to cause Hal.dll problems – weird

Mentioned BIOS changes because any wrong settings will result in boot loading issues

The main questions are:

“Did Setup screen show any installed Windows present” & “any other error messages”?

This information is important to identify most likely cause & solution to the problem

Heading off now – Zzzzzzz

No Events found!