Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2013 17:00

Hard drive crash- vista upgrade to 7 issue

Hello all,

Forgive me for being a noob but I need help. Got the click of death from my hard drive over the weekend.  Bought a new drive and proceeded to re-build my system. Inspiron 545 I think-  2009 model. It originally came with  Vista but included a free Windows 7 upgrade.

Knowing that the upgrade would only work with  a previous version of Windows  installed I installed Vista on the new drive. Then I proceeded to  install 7. It went swimmingly- downloaded all updates, etc.  Thought everything was peachy until it asked me for a product key. I have none for  Windows 7. I got two discs for the upgrade ( upgrade assistant and the OS disc) but no key.  This upgrade was easy the first time. Now I can't get past the product key screen.

I bought this system at Costco- they certainly can't help 4 years later.  Hoping ya'll can help me.  Any needed info will be gladly supplied.

2K Posts

July 8th, 2013 22:00

Hi CraigEdmonston,

The Dell OEM version of free Windows 7 upgrade should not ideally prompt for a product key. However, since it is being prompted request you to contact Microsoft and activate it. You may use the below link to find the contact details for Microsoft:

http://bit.ly/1a7zhFR

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 9th, 2013 10:00

CraigEdmonston,

Please continue with DELL-Kiran K

When I got my system with Vista and was offered the Windows 7 upgrade, the Windows 7 disk that was sent had a product key attached to the sleeve. Using a Dell OEM disk with the operating system that was on the system when purchased, does not require a product key.

Rick

No Events found!