Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

May 6th, 2006 12:00

Hardware / software support with Dell

Some questions to the group:

I recently purchased two dell Inspiron 710m notebooks.  About six weeks ago, one of them stopped working.  It's not  clear whether it is a software or hardware issue.  Since I have been extremely busy, I asked my wife to contact Dell  (it's her computer.)  She has tried to reach Dell in every possible way for a couple of days now, and told me that all efforts get any help or support from Dell have failed.

Question 1 to the group: What has been your experience with Dell support?

At first, I did not believe her.  Then, I tried contacting Dell.  Turns out she is right.  On Dell's website and on the phone systems, there seems to be a systematic effort to sell additional software support instead of repairing defects that a reasonable warranty would cover.  I first tried calling, and navigating the menus after menus finally got me to talking a hardware support person.  I got "Andrew."  Andrew greeted me "Thank you for calling Dell hardware support, my name is Andrew, how may I assist you?"  I started to explain my problem, but Andrew cut me off and greeted "Thank you for calling Dell hardware support, my name is Andrew, how may I assist you?" I greeted him  back and restarted my question.  Andrew cut me off "I will stay on the line for two minutes waiting for your response..." and then I realized that I am talking to some recording!

Question 2 to the group: Have you ever successfully dealt with an "Andrew?"

Then, I tried getting support from the web site.  (I'll rather chat than talk to a robot.)  After all sorts of
logging and tags and attempts to invade my privacy, I get to the chat.  First, the chat is busy.  I choose to wait.  Then, a message appears that the chat is down. 

Question 3 to the group: Have you ever succeeded getting support via Dell chat?

This leave me here, writing this post.  My problem is the following.  When I reboot the computer, the computer posts what I believe is just fine.  When Windows starts, I get the message

>>
Windows could not start because the following file is missing
or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup
using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.
>>

This could of course be caused by a large number of software or hardware issues.  For example, the disk may be faulty.  Windows may have corrupted itself somehow.  Neither of the computers came with the original Windows CD's (presumably those were not even burned to save costs.)  Therefore, I cannot try to repair Windows.

When I run the PSA diagnostics test by powering up the computer with the function key pressed, I get the following message:

>>
Phoenix NoteBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
Copyright 1985-2002 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
All Rights Reserved
A06
CPU = Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.70GHz
1007M system RAM Passed
2048K Cache SRAM Passed
System BIOS shadowed
Video BIOS shadowed
Fixed Disk 0: FUJITSU MHV2060AH
ATAPI CD-ROM: _NEC DVD+/-RW ND-6650A
Mouse initialized
ERROR
0280: Previous bot incomplete - Default configuration used
Press to resume
>>

Question 4 to the group: How can I fix this problem?

I have emailed Dell support with this (and much more) information.  So far, I have received a reference number Q401GSxxxxxxx.  Hurrah!

Question 5 to the group: Have you ever received an email from Dell specifically addressing your unique issue that contained parts originally generated with some human participating in the process?

I don't want to restore the PC to its original state, because I have many data files from various sources on the computer that are important and would take time collect.  What I need is a CD with the MS Windows XP Professional version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600.  With this CD, I can possibly restore the operating system without affecting the data files. Obviously, using some wizard on the computer is out of question, as the computer doesn't boot!

Question 6 to the group: Where can I obtain such a cd?

Finally, a comment:

I will not buy hardware or software from anybody who's got this type of bait-and-switch warranty and support.  My experience, as well as my wife's, has left me no longer wondering why HP's stock price is up 60% and Dells stock  price down 30% over the last 12 months.  Nobody, and I mean nobody -- no individual nor business -- will EVER make a repeat purchase from Dell after an experience like this.

2.5K Posts

May 6th, 2006 12:00

You should have either a diagnostics disk, be able to run system diagnotics from the diagnostics partition.  That should isolate your problem.

4 Posts

May 6th, 2006 13:00

Thanks for your reply.  The notebook did not come with a diagnostics disc. 

I did run the BIOS diagnostics by pressing when powering up.  The earlier post contained the results, which was

>>
ERROR
0280: Previous boot incomplete -- Default configuration used
>>

If I understand correctly, this means that no hardware problems were detected, only that the previous boot failed.  This of course doesn't guarantee that, for example, part of the disk is not corrupted.

If you meant some other diagnostics, please clarify.

2.5K Posts

May 6th, 2006 13:00

I did not mean Pre-boot System Assessment.  There is a section in your User Guide "Dell Diagnostics"  run those 

4 Posts

May 6th, 2006 14:00

Thanks.  This is very helpful.

I got the following errors:

>>
Error Code  2F00:0B1C
Msg: Memory data data bus stress test failure.
>>

>>
Error Code 2F2F:0119
Msg:  System memory failure.  Read EFFFFFFh, expected FFFFFFFFh at address 01324D90h.  Suspected memory component located on System board, at labels Bank 0 M1.
>>

>>
Msg:  System memory failure.  Read EFFFFFFh, expected FFFFFFFFh at address 02324D90h.  Suspected memory component located on System board, at labels Bank 0 M1.
>>

>>
Msg:  System memory failure.  Read EFFFFFFh, expected FFFFFFFFh at address 02AA4D90h.  Suspected memory component located on System board, at labels Bank 0 M1.
>>

>>
Msg:  System memory failure.  Read EFFFFFFh, expected FFFFFFFFh at address 02D64D90h.  Suspected memory component located on System board, at labels Bank 0 M1.
>>

Errors like this keep repeating.  I don't copy them here as they are similar in every respect except the memory address.

I am not very tech savvy, but one hypothesis is that faulty (or loose) memory module gives memory errors that have caused the disk to be corrupted.  What do you think?

2.5K Posts

May 6th, 2006 16:00

I have no idea why you have an error, but you do.   You must solve this problem, before moving on to any other problems.  Try posting to the Inspiron Harware fourm with the results of the diagnostic tests.  -> http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=insp_general

4 Posts

May 6th, 2006 16:00

I posted the original post.  Since then, a hardware support person has contacted me via email.  He has been very helpful, and has agreed to send me the XP cd's and arrange for the memory modules to be reset and/or replaced.

1 Message

June 15th, 2008 03:00

I've had a similar issue before.
I used an XP cd to get into the recovery console,
if anyone has an error that pops up saying a file similar is missing,
you can load a command prompt and try running chkdsk -r

Also, if you can load into a command prompt and chkdsk -r doesn't work, you can try the command:
copy C:\windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\config\system
(or replace 'system' with the name of the file that is missing

hope this helps.
Message Edited by Eibmoz9975 on 06-14-2008 11:22 PM
No Events found!