Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 23rd, 2011 17:00

Help!? I have 2 window 7 operating system installed on my laptop....

My laptop upgraded to windows 7 from vista and now there are 2 window 7 OS installed..My laptop sends warnings saying i dont have much space left. how can i delete  one of the os??

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 24th, 2011 01:00

Ensure you have all your data backed up externally before proceeding.

You should probably perform a clean install, delete all partitions then create a single large partition and install Windows 7 on it. See my wiki A Clean Install of Windows for detailed instructions on the install.

Perform the deletion of partitions in the drive options screen.

2 Posts

December 24th, 2011 04:00

how do i delete partions????

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 24th, 2011 05:00

My A Clean Install of WIndows 7 (& Vista) wiki explains the following in more detail. Telling you what to do from start to finish.

During the Windows install, you will get this screen. Select "Drive Options".

This will reveal the drive options. You have the delete and format options. For a new hard drive (or one cleared with DBAN) you will need to select New to make a new partition (case below).

Note the Windows delete and format are quite light and will do for most purposes; however if you want to give it a complete wipe use DBAN.

Download DBAN and burn it to a blank CD/DVD using ImgBurn (on XP/Vista) no additional Software needed for Windows 7 or alternatively make a bootable USB using Universal USB Installer. Insert this device andenter the BIOs setup (F2 at the Dell Bios Screen below), in the BIOs setup disable any card readers otherwise DBAN won't quite work. Boot from this device (Hold F12 at the BIOs screen and select boot from CD/DVD or from USB respectively). Follow the onscreen instructions to completely eradicate any data on your hard drive. Do this before installing Windows. Once this is complete reboot as prompted and then power down. When powering up hold F2 to enter the BIOs setup and then enable the card reader.

Again refer to the guide as it takes you through everything in order. i.e.

• Backing up your data externally.

• Obtaining any product keys you need.

• Obtaining any Windows 7 media, making either a USB or DVD or/and alternative your own DVD alongside standalone updates.

• Obtaining the system drivers.

• Creating a USB stick with SATA drivers.

• Preparing, wiping the hard drive with DBAN (optional) and setting up Media Direct (a limited amount of Dell laptops have Media Direct)/

• Installing Windows, including setting up partitions.

• Installing the Standalone  Windows Updates.

• Installing the drivers.

• Activation of Windows.

• Checking every device is installed.

• Installing essential security programs and applications.

Note include your model number e.g. Inspiron 6400 if you need more help.

No Events found!