Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2017 21:00

Help on installing Windows 7 on a DELL Precision M5510

Hi to all,

I just got a DELL Precision M5510. It originally comes with Windows10 but there are drivers for Windows7 on the DELL support site to download. Also I asked to Dell support about the compatibility before the purchase.

But after trying to install Windows7 OS the installation says that there is no compatible hardware and it cannot continue with the process.

I think it has to do with the configuration on the BIOS as I had to enable the legacy boot option in order to boot with the DVD (which is a USB DVD drive). 

Does anyone had experienced this situation?

Any comment will be highly appreciated.

Regards!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 23rd, 2017 11:00

You're going to need to build a custom Windows 7 installation image for your system - the chipset aboard that model does not support standard Windows 7 installation media.  It isn't related to the legacy or UEFI options - Microsoft never released support for the hardware inside the system with any standard 7 install media.

The procedure for creating a Windows 7 installation medium (flash drive) is detailed here:

www.dell.com/.../how-to-install-windows-7-on-systems-with-skylake-chipset

(yes, it is lengthy and time consuming, but it's the only way you'll get 7 onto that hardware).

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 24th, 2017 06:00

Windows 7 SP0 Installation (2009) or Windows 7 SP1 Media Refresh (2011) is severely out of date and does not have drivers for USB 3.0 and newer storage controllers.

You need the Dell Windows 7 Pro Reinstallation Skylake (January 2016) .iso:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-oem-faqs-and-downloads/#7601 

No Events found!