Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2009 08:00

How can I create recovery partition again?

I have lost may hdd and replace it with a new one. Is there a way to create original factory recovey partition on it?

Thank you.

• 

16.7K Posts

January 23rd, 2009 08:00

istar,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

You cannot get the Dell Factory Image on the hard drive replacement.

4.6K Posts

January 23rd, 2009 11:00

You cannot get the Dell Factory Image on the hard drive replacement.

That's precisely the reason Dell need to consider supplying a 'Recovery' disc (as well?) with their systems Jesse :emotion-55:

Recovery partitions are absolutely useless in the event of hard drive failure :emotion-43:

1K Posts

January 23rd, 2009 13:00

The RealFireblade is right.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's precisely the reason Dell need to consider supplying a 'Recovery' disc (as well?) with their systems Jesse :emotion-55:

Recovery partitions are absolutely useless in the event of hard drive failure :emotion-43:"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or at least gives the owners the option to make  recovery DVDs from that partition like HP computers do.

1.9K Posts

January 23rd, 2009 17:00

If you would like a recovery partition that you could press a key at boot time and recover back to a given state then Acronis True Image is for you. I can create a hidden partition on your hard disk "acronis Secure Zone" and maintain a current image of your hard disk there. It will also give you a prompt at boot time F11 to boot into the restore utility. Basically it works exactly like the Dell Recovery but it is 1000 times better.

Check it out here:

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

They also have a free trial here: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/

pcgeek11

4.6K Posts

January 25th, 2009 08:00

Basically it works exactly like the Dell Recovery but it is 1000 times better.

It may well be 1,000x better.

But if you created the image on the same hard drive (as you're suggesting there), you'd have exactly the same problem in the event of a hard drive failure :emotion-55:

The only ways to avoid the problem of hard drive failure, is for the end user to create their own image (if they know how to)... or to have a recovery disc.

But it shouldn't be incumbent upon the buyer to create a new image on CD/DVD, or external hard drive?  Dell should supply a 'Recovery' disc.

Not only would it be particularly useful to anybody buying a PC/laptop for the first time... but it would negate the need for a 'Recovery' partition.

That would add more capacity to the C:\ drive... and allow experienced users to create another partition of their own if they wanted/needed to - which they can't do just now, due to the four partition limitation on Dell systems :emotion-55:

Re Acronis True Image:  Whilst there's no denying it's one of the best imaging programs (if not the best) available... it's worth mentioning that there are many other (commercial) disk imaging programs available.

There are also a number of FREE programs available - i.e. HD Clone Free Edition, Macrium Reflect, Self Image, etc :emotion-5:

1K Posts

January 25th, 2009 13:00

Hi people. Istar, sorry if we hijack your thread a little bit. However, after you install your OS on your new HDD, you can decide what image recovery app to get. Acronis, Ghost, or the ones mention by The RealFireblade are good choices. It is just a matter of convenience.

PCgeek11, I have read (in this forum and others) that Acronis, even though you can make a image of the whole Dell´s HDD (diagnostic partition, OS, recovery partition) and burn it to DVD, when you use that image to a new HDD and afterwards you want to use the recovery partition, it does not execute. Acronis and ghost are not compatible. Have you encounter that problem yet?

BTW, the recovery system that HP computers use is not a hidden partition. It is seen as D:/, and it takes 2 or 3 DVDs and 15 minutes to process. Afterwards you still got the recovery partition on the HDD to execute in the future for a full original recovery image or delete for those extra 5 GB, or in the event of a HDD malfunction you have the DVDs to install your image on the new HDD.

Just a question and a thought.  

1 Message

December 21st, 2013 08:00

@IROC9555

Hi,my laptop is Dell Inspiron 15R 5521 came with windows 8.

I lost Recovery Partitions (Both Refresh and Reset) from my HDD..but I got Recovery Media from Dell (Thanks to Dell).Now I upgraded to Windows 8.1 (Free upgrade via Windows Store).

Now tell me,is it possible to create recovery partition (which is hidden and allows copying of new windows files when we press F11 at the time of booting)???

That maybe 8 or 8.1 :emotion-1:

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 21st, 2013 13:00

You may be able to with Dell Backup and Recovery but only if you buy the premium version. It may also not work since there is no initial partition present.

I on an occasion use Acronis to take a backup of my Windows OS. Generally I just use the free versions which are available with a Western Digital or Seagate external hard drive. For more details see section 3 of Windows Reinstallation Guide/Backing Up and Restoring Your Windows Installation Using Acronis:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

1 Message

December 22nd, 2013 23:00

I have lost may hdd and replace it with a new one. Is there a way to create original factory recovey partition on it?

Thank you.

No Events found!