Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

May 22nd, 2006 17:00

How do I fix F11

I had to do a reformat and now my F11 key wont work. I don't want to use F11 at this time I just want to get it working again in case I ever need it. Is there a way that I can get F11 back? Without having to reformat again or losing anything?  Again I just want it back in case I need it in the future

Thanks

11.9K Posts

May 22nd, 2006 18:00

@thegeodeman2005 wrote:
  I had to do a reformat and now my F11 key wont work. I don't want to use F11 at this time I just want to get it working again in case I ever need it. Is there a way that I can get F11 back? Without having to reformat again or losing anything?  Again I just want it back in case I need it in the future

Thanks

In the future, by using the Advanced Forum Search on the bottom of this page, you can quite easily find the answer to this often asked question.

If you deleted all partitions in your reformat, no, it's gone for good.  If you just reformatted the C partition and kept the others, then yes, see below.

Systems shipped after July 15, 2004 came with Symantec PC Restore. This utility restores the computer to an "as-shipped" condition. If you haven't reformatted, repartitioned, or otherwise modified the master boot record, it should work. Click here for instructions about Symantec PC Restore.

If the Symantec PC Restore utility won't work, but still resides on your computer, a Dell customer has figured out some ways to get it to work again. Note - If you removed this partition, it is not recoverable, cannot be downloaded from the internet, and cannot be shipped from Dell. Click here for ways to fix Symantec PC Restore. Users have also reported that the partition can be restored with Ghost 2003, and Ghost 9 using the '03 capabilities of it. If you boot to the Ghost 9 CD, select Advanced Recovery Taks, select Utilities, then Restore Legacy Image it should work - but you want to verify the image before attempting the restore. It's in a folder called IMG.

May 22nd, 2006 19:00

I'm still not understanding this here. I made a floppy with windows 98  (boot98se) and a floppy with DSRFIX but i can't get the computer to boot from the windows 98 floppy.  I really need to have someone talk me through it. Is there a number I can call for help with this? I have tried dell support but they said they couldn't help me.

Thanks

11.9K Posts

May 22nd, 2006 20:00

@thegeodeman2005 wrote:

I'm still not understanding this here. I made a floppy with windows 98  (boot98se) and a floppy with DSRFIX but i can't get the computer to boot from the windows 98 floppy.  I really need to have someone talk me through it. Is there a number I can call for help with this? I have tried dell support but they said they couldn't help me.

Thanks

If you deleted all your partitions, this is a waste of your time.

If not, hit F2 to enter bios and make the floppy your first boot device, then boot to it.

May 22nd, 2006 21:00

I didn't deleted all my partitions when I did the reformat  just the middle largest one.   Dell had to help me with the reformat.  I did what you said but it just says "remove disk or other media and press any key to restart"  Could this mean I copied the boot disk wrong or something?  I'm serious I really should have phone support on this because I'll probably mess things up.  If there isn't phone support available on this then I guess I better forget it for now.  If there is someone I can call please let me know.

Thanks

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

May 22nd, 2006 22:00

thegeodeman2005,

If there's any question about the boot floppy diskette you can download another from here.

11.9K Posts

May 22nd, 2006 22:00

@thegeodeman2005 wrote:
   I didn't deleted all my partitions when I did the reformat  just the middle largest one.   Dell had to help me with the reformat.  I did what you said but it just says "remove disk or other media and press any key to restart"  Could this mean I copied the boot disk wrong or something?  I'm serious I really should have phone support on this because I'll probably mess things up.  If there isn't phone support available on this then I guess I better forget it for now.  If there is someone I can call please let me know.

Thanks

There is no phone support available for this, sorry.

May 22nd, 2006 23:00

Its fix I have my F11 key back.   I copied the boot disk wrong the first time that was my problem but the second time it worked.

Thanks!!!!!!

No Events found!