Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 26th, 2016 10:00

How do you uninstall the Data Vault?

I have had my XPS 8500 for almost 4 years now. Recently on looking at my Reliability Monitor I see that there was an update from DELL that updated the Data Vault to version 4.3.7.0. I don't really know what the Data Vault actually does and have never made use of it. However since this update I am now getting short pauses and glitches when watching videos or listening to music. On searching the net the culprit appears to be the Dell Data Vault hogging the system resources briefly. I cannot find the Data Vault in my programs list nor does searching for DellDataVault.exe throw up anything. But it is listed twice in services in the windows task manager and shown as running. So how can I uninstall it?

thanks

bill

11 Posts

June 4th, 2016 17:00

Go to C:\Program Files\Dell\DellDataVault and delete the Dell Data Vault and Dell Data Vault Wizard applications or move them someplace in case you want them back. Then go to task manager:services and stop them.

• 

16.7K Posts

March 28th, 2016 08:00

Fly-Catchers,

You can uninstall the program in the add/remove programs from within Windows. Below are ways to remove programs in OS's.

Windows 10

Go to uninstall programs on the Settings page. To repair a program, use Control Panel.

1. On the Start menu select Settings.

2. In Settings, select System > Apps & features.

3. Select the program, and then select Uninstall.

4. Follow the directions on the screen.

You can uninstall Dell Data Vault from your computer by using the Add/Remove Program feature in the Window's Control Panel.
  1. On the Start menu (for Windows 8, right-click the screen's bottom-left corner), click Control Panel, and then, underPrograms, do one of the following:
  • Windows Vista/7/8: Click Uninstall a Program.
  • Windows XP: Click Add or Remove Programs.
  • When you find the program Dell Data Vault, click it, and then do one of the following:
  • Windows Vista/7/8: Click Uninstall.
  • Windows XP: Click the Remove or Change/Remove tab (to the right of the program).
  • Follow the prompts. A progress bar shows you how long it will take to remove Dell Data Vault.

For me to better assist in troubleshooting, please click my DELL-Jesse L and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your Dell Order number. Click my name in blue then on the next page click where it says send private message

380 Posts

April 10th, 2016 06:00

Unfortunately Dell Data Vault is not a separate entry in "Programs and Features" or "Settings" > "System" > "Apps and features". I suspect it may be a part of "Dell Foundation Services". What else is in there?

JohnD

April 10th, 2016 14:00

Like John mentions Dell Data Vault is not listed anywhere as an installed program so you cannot simply uninstall it! What I did do was to go to MSCONFIG and go to Services and untick it. This sorted the audio glitch problem until today. On checking the Reliability Monitor I see a later version of the same software has been installed! Version-   4.3.8.0. And it is once again shown as running in the background and causing these annoying audio glitches. On checking the MSCONFIG the listed services are still unticked but somehow still running!!  Is Dell Data Vault in anyway related to Dell Datasafe local backup? As that program is listed on control panel programs. If it is not how on earth can I remove for good?

I have had my XPS8500 for almost 5 years and yet this issue only started on the 20th March this year!

2 Posts

May 19th, 2016 07:00

I have the same issue.

Dell Data Vault Service is using 2.3GB of RAM and I'd like to know what it does, why it is running, and how to uninstall it if appropriate.

It is NOT listed on the application I can uninstall.

2 Posts

June 4th, 2016 19:00

Thank you.  Not sure why it was using so much RAM before but only 8.9MBs now

November 6th, 2017 06:00

My question is:  what is the purpose of Dell Data Vault?  What does it  actually do?  I have googled at least cursorily, no-one seems to be offering any explanation of what it does.  Dell people on this forum - can you explain what the thing actually does?

(I'm not looking for a rehash of this answer: "Dell Data Vault is a software program developed by Dell. The most common release is 4.2.2.0, with over 98%...."  I don't want to know how many files it installs or services it starts, I would like to know what the point is)

Thanks!

1 Message

November 25th, 2017 13:00

This is the same question I have about several of the Dell programs that come installed on my XPS 9365. The Data Vault is one of the offending programs. For now it is disabled unless there is a reason it needs to be running and there is a fix to stop it from blue screening this computer.

1 Message

April 2nd, 2018 02:00

Simply uninstall Dell DataAssist and Dell DataAssistAgent

Afterwards remove any lingering archive files from folder c:\program files\dell\delldatavault

Image already added

89 Posts

April 12th, 2018 17:00

Found the WMI on my brand new Latitude 7490 going nuts and led me to Dell Data Vault Collector as the culprit. I disabled the services, but curious what that is tied to in Add/Remove Programs. I don't have the ones listed....probably because I am on a business laptop and not an XPS.

The Dell 'installs' I have are 

1. Dell Command | Power Manager
  2. Dell Command | Update (doubt it is this)
  3. Dell Digital Delivery
  4. Dell Support Assist
  5. Dell Support Assist Agent

My thoughts it is one of the last 2. 

Am using the Dell image, but once Windows 10 1803 goes RTM it might be time for a clean install. 

May 24th, 2018 07:00

I don't show Dell Data anything installed yet I still see it running. What is Dell Data Vault supposed to be doing anyway?

1 Message

June 9th, 2018 16:00

Still seems a mystery here so far.....

11 Posts

June 21st, 2018 16:00

It boggles my mind that Dell's being so evasive about this—avoiding explaining what the dang process even does, and giving irrelevant suggestions on deactivating it.

And why is this topic marked "Solved", when no useful help has been provided yet?

4 Posts

June 22nd, 2018 04:00

It is unbelievable how useless Dell support is. All the forums exist, just so people can help themselves and each other. Do not count on sensible, clear answer from Dell.. :(

20 Posts

June 30th, 2018 00:00

@Gucek001It's a common problem nowadays. Software & hardware manufacturers seem to get it into their heads that the stuff they write is *absolutely* essential, and that our computers will be completely dysfunctional without it. Hence you'll find that anyone from Dell that sees this thread will simply spout the party line that they've been trained to say, and call it an essential Dell program.

Truth of the matter: it's absolutely useless, and the services can be safely stopped and set to disabled using "services.msc" I did this on my Alienware 15 R3 that I bought about a year ago, and haven't noticed any ill effects at all.

Worse yet, Dell aren't alone in this attitude. Microsoft have the same problem: take their "Storage Service" as an example. According to anyone at Microsoft that you talk to, it's an essential service that must be left running. Never mind that it takes the liberty of writing a hidden "System Volume Information" folder to every single USB and flash storage device that's plugged into your system. Like you really want that or need it. And again the truth of the matter is that the "Storage Service" can be stopped/disabled with absolutely no ill effects, and as an added bonus Windows will now leave your USB drives alone when you plug them in.

No Events found!