Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 25th, 2014 12:00

How to switch to VISTA already installed after using XP Pro for 5 years

I bought a Dell Vostro 200  in 2008, using XP Pro as the operating system.   Apparently, Vista Business 32Bit SP1 is also already installed on this PC -- I have a Reinstallation DVD for that.

How can I switch now from XP to Vista?    I have no clue as to where it is or how to access Vista.   Problems to watch for?

Many kind thanks to the Dell community for your help.

K

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 28th, 2014 09:00

You can install Windows Vista 32 Bit as an upgrade however I do not recommend to do so as the performance is usually quite a bit worse if "upgraded" via "upgrade".

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 25th, 2014 17:00

See my Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Instll of Windows Vista:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/

10 Posts

January 27th, 2014 20:00

Thank you, Natakuc4 -- I think. 

I need to know how to find and use the pre-installed OEM Vista on my 2008 Dell desktop.  I’ve been using XP, also OEM installed, exclusively. Now I want to switch to Vista.  I can't find Vista on my system, claimed by Dell to also have been installed,

I don't find an answer or a clear path in the materials you reference.   Why would I have to do either an ABR or a clean install of Vista, if it’s already installed?   If I can't find Vista on my system now,  how do I find and use it after the ABR/clean install I'm wondering.  

Thanks for trying.    

K

5.2K Posts

January 27th, 2014 22:00

Never heard of Dell supplying dual operating systems. In order to have two, they each need to be on their own partitions or oin two separate drives. If dual booting is available, you would see an option during the boot process to select the OS you want.

Look in the File Explorer (also known as Windows explorer...not Internet explorer). The primary OS will be on the C: drive (partition) and the second on another drive, such as E: or F: or ??. If you don't have this, you DO NOT have a second OS installed.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 27th, 2014 23:00

You will have purchased the system with downgrade rights which was a special case designed mainly for business users.

Unfortunately all Dell Windows Reinstallation DVDs say Already Installed on your Computer.

Thus if you have a Vista and XP Reinstallation DVD/CD both discs will say this even though you only have XP already installed on your computer.

Therefore if XP is installed there is no Vista installed by Dell and thus if you want to switch to Vista you must clean install.

The ABR utility or Digital River download is not necessary if you have the Reinstallation DVD.

10 Posts

January 28th, 2014 08:00

Kirkd,

Thanks so much for replying. 

1.  I don't know what the "boot process" would be, not like the old MS-DOS days, this PC goes directly to the main password login and then opens in WinXP without options or choices. 

2.  I can't find a "File Explorer" or a plain "Explorer" -- there is something called "MSN Explorer", but it looks like it's just an internet management approach that I don't/haven't used.    This is a June 2008 configuration, so perhaps the information on various drives was placed elsewhere.      

Everything I can find, looking through various places to see what's on the computer, shows only a C drive and XP (with D: and E: drives for CD/DVD).

I paid extra for them to provide and install XP Pro, so perhaps all they did was provide a "reinstallation" disk for Vista, but did not install it -- as you say, that makes sense -- and I might be able to use that.

Again, thank you for your time!

K

10 Posts

January 28th, 2014 09:00

Natakuc4,

Thank you very kindly for this information.   It seems that you must be right; I find Vista nowhere on my system, although I paid extra to have both Vista Business and XP Pro.   They must have installed only the XP.

Microsoft site tells me that if I have an XP Pro, 32-bit and a Vista Business, 32-bit, I can install that Vista as an upgrade and not a clean installation.

Do you agree?   

I will continue reading Microsoft site instructions and, now, go back to the resources you have already forwarded to me.   I am hoping I simply start up the computer, put the DVD in and follow its prompts .  .  .  without wrecking what I already have on the computer.

Many thanks to you,

K

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 28th, 2014 10:00

"I paid extra to have both Vista Business and XP Pro.   They must have installed only the XP."

Just to clarify how this works:  Vista Business came with "downgrade rights", which allows you to install and run XP Pro instead of Vista, UNDER the Vista Business license.  You may have received both media, but you ONLY receive a Vista license/product key.  Likewise with Windows 7 Pro ... it includes "downgrade rights" to Vista or XP, but ONLY comes with a Windows 7 license/product key.  A separate XP license is not required/necessary, since you are allowed to run it by virtue of the Vista Business license, and it will come with only ONE installed (the one you chose during the order).  Since this is included with ALL licenses Pro/Business and higher, the only additional cost you should have incurred for it to have shipped from Dell with XP instead of Vista would likely have been the difference in cost of upgrading from Vista Home Premium to Vista Business in order to get the downgrade rights to run XP.

"Never heard of Dell supplying dual operating systems. In order to have two, they each need to be on their own partitions or oin two separate drives."

Not speaking of "downgrade rights" and strictly "dual-booting" ... this is NOT common OR standard.  If you ask a Dell Sales Rep for this, he will say no, as will his manager.  I have seen this done in the past, but is done through Dell's CFI (Custom Factory Integration) program (at a cost or in extreme bulk) and you must go through the proper channels to qualify and obtain "custom" integrations.

10 Posts

January 28th, 2014 12:00

Thank you once again for your time and help!

It looks like it will just be easiest to buy a new Win 8.1 PC when XP support dies, or even try Linux Zorin, or a Chromebook or a Mac even,  rather than try to fuss with a clean install to Vista, then pay for an upgrade (? or another clean install) to Win 7 Pro.    My 2008 PC works great right now, was hoping to salvage it for another couple of years.    I don't have high needs, so I was hoping just doing an "upgrade" to Vista would be tolerable.

But after reading about the potential problems with "clean install", it sounds like surgery I don't want to risk.   I'll continue reading the guides.

Many kind thanks,

K

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

"But after reading about the potential problems with "clean install", it sounds like surgery I don't want to risk."

This shouldn't be "painful" ... what kind of "potential problems" are you looking at that have scared you off?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

"if there is a next time and I stay with Microsoft; Linux looks better all the time"

Just remember, Microsoft vs. Mac vs. Linux ... the grass is not always greener, and often times the "free" Linux will cost you more in the end in other ways.

Good luck!

10 Posts

theflash1932,

Thank you for the definitive answer on the Vista/XP installation mystery.   I do appreciate understanding how that works, so I'll know next time (if there is a next time and I stay with Microsoft; Linux looks better all the time).

I paid extra to have nearly 6 years of a good OS, which will have to be good enough.

Thanks again,

K

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 28th, 2014 13:00

Literally thousands have followed my guides on clean installs and reported success.

Take your time with the clean install, its slightly daunting first time but isn't too difficult.

The point is Windows XP reaches End of Life in April. Once Microsoft stop updating it, XP is likely to be attacked as it has a large enough relative marketshare and a lot of corporations such as banks are still running Windows XP. Its better for you to spend some time with the clean install opposed to sticking with XP and being caught off guard later down the line. XP was supported 2001-2014 which is quite an extended period of time.

P.S. if you migrate to Linux you will also need to clean install.

10 Posts

January 29th, 2014 07:00

thflash1932,

Problems include an unexpected twist or turn when trying to back up what I have already, or installing the new program, and losing a connection or capability that might be very easy to correct, if only I had a knowledgeable IT person with me.   The steps may be simple, but the possibilities for some slight thing gone awry endless, as the user forums reveal.  

However, I really appreciate your observation (and encouragement), and will likely try to do a clean install for Vista when the XP deadline is closer.

Thank you for your concern.

K

10 Posts

January 29th, 2014 08:00

Natakuc4,

Your advice on (1) installing Vista 32-Bit Business over current XP Pro 32-Bit, SP2 and immediately (2) installing Win7 Pro?

Would the upgrade to 7 get rid of the degraded performance due to lack of a clean install of Vista, or make it still worse?

Thank you.  You've been incredibly kind.

K

No Events found!