Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

3 Posts

May 10th, 2018 18:00

How to tell programs to save to SSD or regular HDD?

Hello

I'm new to Dell computers and just bought this Dell Inspiron 3668 a couple of days ago. It came with a 1 TB HDD and also 120 GB SSD. The OS is on the SSD so right now I have 20.8 GB free, as any new program I install seems to save right to the SSD.

Is there a way to tell a program which drive you want it to save too? Otherwise the SDD will be full much quicker.

Also are you able to move programs from the SDD that have saved over to the HDD?

My understanding is the solid state drive is good for programs starting up much faster, so the OS being on it makes sense to me. I just don't think all my programs need to be quick to start up.

Sorry if this was posted in past, I just couldn't seem to find it.

Thank you in advance.

May 10th, 2018 19:00

Thanks Tesla1856.

I just happened to finally find in the settings where you tell pictures and documents, etc to save. My son did install Steam and of course has it on the SSD.

When I installed my MS Office I have I didn't notice it give an option, but I did the recommended install and not custom, so maybe that was the difference. Things to keep in mind as this is my first unit with two types of drives.

Thanks again.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 10th, 2018 19:00

@Rangerfiedwrote:

Hello

1. and also 120 GB SSD.

2. The OS is on the SSD so right now ... so the OS being on it makes sense to me.

3. Is there a way to tell a program which drive you want it to save too? 

4. are you able to move programs from the SDD that have saved over to the HDD?

1. Yeah, that's kinda small ... a 240gb or 512gb would have been better.

2. Right, Good

3. Yes, when you install your programs, you click "Custom" and install them to a folder on D: instead.

In Steam, you can setup another install Folder on D: and make it the default

4. Not normally. Usually, you uninstall them from C:, and re-install to D:

Setup:

D:\Programs
D:\Games
D:\Games\Steam
D:\Storage
... like that.

May 14th, 2018 14:00

Today I downloaded a small file for my remote keyboard and mouse. It never asked which drive to save it to. Previously I went in and said all new apps, etc save to my (D) drive or larger TB drive. Yet it still went to my (C) drive or my smaller SSD. Not sure where I'm going wrong.

No Events found!