Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 17th, 2005 10:00

How to turn off programs running in the background?

My Dimension 2400 is running very slowly. One thing I am trying to do is minimize the number of programs running in the background.  On the lower right corner tray, I have mini-icons for Microsoft AntiSpyware,  Norton Internet Security, Norton Anti-Virus, QuickTime, Local Area Connection (unplugged), Updates Ready for your Computer (uninstalled), volume (muted), Safely Remove Hardware, and Home Portal (not yet activated). Can I stop some of these? If so, how?

Are there other things I can turn off to try and make the computer be a little quicker on its feet

I am also trying to uninstall some programs, such as Civilization III that are big memory-eaters.

Other suggestions appreciated.

Ron Allen

11.9K Posts

@ron.allencts.edu wrote:
My Dimension 2400 is running very slowly. One thing I am trying to do is minimize the number of programs running in the background.  On the lower right corner tray, I have mini-icons for Microsoft AntiSpyware,  Norton Internet Security, Norton Anti-Virus, QuickTime, Local Area Connection (unplugged), Updates Ready for your Computer (uninstalled), volume (muted), Safely Remove Hardware, and Home Portal (not yet activated). Can I stop some of these? If so, how?

Are there other things I can turn off to try and make the computer be a little quicker on its feet

I am also trying to uninstall some programs, such as Civilization III that are big memory-eaters.

Other suggestions appreciated.

Ron Allen

Apples and oranges.

Programs installed, like your game, that you're not running use no memory at all, only hard disk space of which you probably have plenty.

You can easily turn off programs from running in the background using MSCONFIG.  Make sure you check the site below to see what you SHOULD NOT TURN OFF like the antivirus program, firewall, ...

Start, Run, Msconfig and then type in every name to the search box on the link I gave you.

551 Posts

As asked earlier, Do you have at least 512MB of RAM (if running XP).

Most applications have an option in preferences (or whatever they choose to call it) to start when windows starts. Leave this unchecked on any app you can start when you need it to start. Sometimes they are a little harder to find.

Also check

http://www.blackviper.com/

A free education on whats is running in the background (Operating System services) and the choices you have?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

If you do not have at least 512M RAM, upgrade.

DO NOT turn off the antivirus/firewall/security software.

You can shut off the indexing service, system restore, etc., which will help performance, but the other services should stay running. The service control manager to disable the indexing service, and turn off System Restore under Advanced in the control panel system applet.

March 17th, 2005 11:00

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I am uniformed enough about the computer that I do not know how to get started on the steps that you indicate below. I do not know, for instance, how to shut off the index servicing, system restore, etc. I'm sure these things take just a few mouse clicks, but I would be grateful for step by step.

Tks, Ron Allen

13 Posts

March 17th, 2005 14:00

Click on the START button on the lower left corner of your screen.

Click on RUN

Type in MSCONFIG then click OK

Now click on the tab STARTUP which should be the last tab on top right.

now uncheck all the programs you choose not to start up when Windows starts. Make sure you leave anything that pertains to your ANTIVIRUS, FIREWALL, ETC....

When you are done, you will be prompted to re-boot..... now reboot.

March 17th, 2005 15:00

Thanks. Exceptionally clear.

Ron Allen

No Events found!