Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

January 6th, 2004 15:00

I.E. 6 will not interpret HTML stylesheet (CSS) directives

So far Dell Support has not be able to help me:

Problem

I have a brand new DELL computer with Windows/XP Professional.  When I browse to web sites with Internet Explorer 6.0 (SP1), HTML stylesheet/CSS directives are not processed correctly.  For example, on Microsoft's support web page (support.microsoft.com), I only see very large characters on the page, each character is larger than my 17" monitor. On other web sites, it completely ignores CSS directives for font size, color, etc.

Steps taken

1. Firguring it was JAVA related, and based on knowledgebase documents at microsoft.com, I downloaded and installed Sun's JAVA runtime environment on my system, and it showed up in IE's advanced properties.  The problem still persisted.

2. I dowloaded Netscape 7.1,it worked fine, no problems at all, so the problem is related to I.E. 6

3. Removed Sun's JAVA runtime, reboted and installed Microsoft VM, and the problem still persisted.

4. I re-installed Windows/XP professional on my computer for, but the problem still persisted.

5. I used the add/remove programs to remove I.E., then rebooted, and re-installed I.E. Tech notes at microsoft.com clearly indicate that I.E. 6 is factory installed on new computers and cannot be removed, so in hindsight, this step should not have, and did have any effect.

6. Following a tech note at Microsoft.com, I went into the registry and set the I.E. installed flag to zero, and tried to install the latest version of I.E. (6.0 sp1) from microsoft.com.  When the donwload finished, the installation failed because the I.E. 6.0 sp1 did not have a valid signature (that's odd because it was downloaded right from microsoft).  I tried this twice but neither attempt worked.

Alan

18.8K Posts

January 6th, 2004 16:00

ajcutler,

You can reinstall IE from your Windows XP reinstallation CD but if the problem persisted after you reintalled XP, that will clearly not be helpful. I suspect that downloading a fresh copy of IE will also fail to correct the problem which sounds like it is being caused by an interaction of IE with some other application. Are you using a firewall, and if so is the XP Internet Connection Firewall disabled?

You may be able to correct the error you received when you attempted to download and install IE6 SP1 with the information here by checking your Windows Update.log file for error messages.

4 Posts

January 6th, 2004 22:00

Denny:

Thanks for getting back to me. I carefully followed the instructions in the link you provided for avoiding the "software has not passed the Windows logo testing", including shutting down the firewall, but it still did not work and gave the the same logo testing error. There were no error messsages in the Windows update.log.

I also ran sfc /scannow yet the IE 6 problem still persists.

In need of more ideas/help.

Alan

4 Posts

January 12th, 2004 18:00

I finally figured out why Internet Explorer was not interpretting HTML stylesheet & CSS directives.  Somehow in the accessibility options "use high contrast" was selected.  Once it was unselected, IE started working fine.

1 Message

January 17th, 2004 01:00

ajcutler

You are the only one that has been able to assist with this. I have attempted everything from Reinstalling IE to changing my registry setting in order to even reinstall IE.

This was simple and easy!

Thank You!!!!
No Events found!