Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 10th, 2006 19:00

INVALID_WORK_QUEUE_ITEM

I have a brand new DELL Inspiron 600m that came with Windows XP Home and side partition. I have bought a Window XP Professional Disk with Service Pack 2 and I attempt a clean install on the C: partition (leaving the DSR image alone).

When the Window's install completes, it attempts to boot for the first time and I get a blue screen notifying me that windows was stopped and listing the error as "INVALID_WORK_QUEUE_ITEM".

I can get to it to start in safe mode, but that is only mode it will start in.

Can someone assist me in how to install XP Professional?

Message Edited by LadyPhoenix68 on 04-10-200603:29 PM

1 Message

July 1st, 2006 20:00

Hi,

I just registered with this Dell Forum, because I've encountered the same error message (blue screen), but nearly always on shutdowns only. Since it has not manifested other serious problems, I have chosen to live with it, partly because this is on a family room desktop that the rest of my family uses and partly because I usually leave it in standby mode.

I was doing serious maintenance and service on this system since the system had been acting sluggish, and decided to see if I can resolve the problem (although I do not think the sluggishness is due to this particular error. I believe it may have to do with networking, since I have several home computers networked wirelessly.)

Your posting was the first I found. The rest were very dated - back in 2003-4. I failed to find any solutions or explanations posted as replies to yours or the other posters' messages on the same "invalid_work_queue_item" error.

So, that is why I am posting this, to you and to any other kind and interested persons on this board. Have you had any responses to your post? Has any solutions or explanations appeared on this board or elsewhere?

Thanks for your attention,

Wiliam

--------------------------------

Below is the error message I've been getting often on shutdowns:

System: Dell Dimension 4600, 512 MB RAM, Win XP Home, GeForce4 440 MX Display adapter, 2 HDDs, 1 DVD+/-RW, Sound Blaster Live 24 bit External, SBC Yahoo DSL and/or Comcast cable modems, wireless-networked via D-Link router and adapters.

BLUE SCREEN ERROR MESSAGE ON SHUTDOWNS:

A problem has been detected & Windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.

Invalid_Work_Queue_Item

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen (No, it has occurred often, but on shutdowns only, and posted no serious operational problems), restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardw or softw manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardw or softw. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode ........etc.

TECHNICAL INFO:

**** STOP: 0X00000096 (0XFA90063C, 0X80561440, 0X80561440, 0X80561440, 0XF844EBF0)

**** NDIS.SYS - Address F844EBF0 base at F8448000, Date stamp 41107ec3

(The tech. info is always the same)

Beginning dump of physical memory. Physical memory dump complete.

Contact your system administrator or tech support group for further assistance (!!)

No Events found!