Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 22nd, 2007 10:00

Inspiron 1721 Vista to XP

I know there were a lot of talk about it, but when i read threads about Vista to XP, only nVidia video cards were mentioned. But i've got ATI Radeon Xpress 1270 HyperMemory And it doesn't have any xp drivers! I went to the ATI page, they say, drivers for whole 1200 serries have wo work both, on Vista nad on XP, but it doesnt. When installing it just prompts - no driveer were found for your device. Other problem is Sound Blaster Audigy - it seems there is a XP driver on the dell page, but it doesn't work. While installing it promts that that no device was found for the driver. I looked it up on the device manager and it's true - XP cant find my Sound Blaster, it only shows unknown device in PCI slot. Just as the video card - it's not found. Everything else works fine, found all the needed drivers. Except video and audio. Help...

10 Posts

October 7th, 2007 23:00

Cyrus,
I used the link to the AMD site that you provided, and got hold of the chipset driver
for the M690T/SB600 chipset. That worked. I have video running very nicely now.

Nice work.

Next comes audio.

-Creo

10 Posts

October 8th, 2007 00:00

Got audio working too. Thanks for the postings.

-Creo

35 Posts

February 5th, 2008 18:00

What drivers do I ned to slipstream into xp?

I just added the sata drivers but that still did not work for my with finding the hdd..

35 Posts

February 5th, 2008 18:00

its nice to know that someones having luck with this problem I'can't as yet get xp to find my harddrives just keeps coming up that there is no hdd...

I'm almost at the hair pulling out stage..  

35 Posts

February 5th, 2008 20:00

I've downloaded the M690T/SB600 chipset drivers..

If I slipstream them into windows will this work?

It's going to make the windows file over 700mb so I'll need to burn to dvd rather than a cd.. 

10 Posts

February 6th, 2008 01:00

Umm.. I dunno what you mean by slipstream.

At the time, I first installed XP, then installed the AMD chipset stuff. That got the graphics card and my harddrive to run properly, as well as the raid. Ya gotta make sure that the XP version is SP2 as well, but u can do that update after you've installed the wireless driver. Once you've made sure it's SP2, you can get hold of and install the audio drivers. It's been a long time since I did this.

You can make XP work on this machine. It's just a bit painful and time expensive. If you have the time then don't give up.

On a different note, my HD crashed and burned a couple of months ago, so as part of the service agreement, Dell replaced it for me. As a result, my new hd ended up with Vista preinstalled. I'm at this point too busy to go through the whole OS replacement thing again. I have a suspicion that the use of Vista on this machine lead to the crash... but when I look at the facts I do know, I don't see how wrong drivers and an incompatible OS can damage the physical HD itself and make it go "CLICK! CLICK! CLICK!". Whatever. I'm stuck with Vista now. I guess I wont be buying computer games for Vista on this machine.

Good luck.

35 Posts

February 6th, 2008 16:00

The 1721 use's sata harddrives & from what I've read sata drives give lots of problems..

Thanks for reply..

10 Posts

February 7th, 2008 06:00

:) My error - I got the terminology wrong. Sata not raid... :)
-creo
No Events found!