Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 1st, 2010 17:00

Inspiron 6000 - System restore help needed

I have an Inspiron 6000, which was running Windows 7 on its original 60 GB drive. I created a system image and stored that on an external drive.  I've swapped out the 60 GB drive for a 120 GB drive, which has an old Windows XP install (when I originally upgraded to the larger drive), and am wanting to restore the backup image onto the larger drive.

I boot the laptop using the recovery disk (created during the system image creation process), but am missing the option "Repair Your Computer".  I have tried booting with my Windows 7 installation disk, hoping it would give me an option to repair or recover, but it only wants to install (defeating the purpose of the system image).

I'm at a loss here, and need some help on what to do. Do I need to go ahead and install Windows 7 on the larger drive, then do a restore from Image?

Thanks in advance!

12.7K Posts

October 2nd, 2010 15:00

See this article, I think you just need to select Install, then you will get the option to restore an image.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7702/restoring-windows-7-from-an-image-backup/

8 Posts

October 2nd, 2010 18:00

Hey Mombodog

Just wanted to thank you for your reply. The linked website itself didn't really help, but your comment about continuing through on the Install prompted me to look at some other installation step-by-steps, and their screenshots. I just clicked through until the "Install" screen, and there it was, lower left corner, Repair Your Computer! So, it's in the process of restoring my backup image to the drive now. Thanks a ton!!  :emotion-2:

8 Posts

October 2nd, 2010 18:00

Okay, maybe I celebrated too soon, lol.  The restore from image went well, but unfortunately looking at My Computer, it shows the total drive space as 55.8 GB, which was my old drive's capacity. Partitioning is messed up.

8 Posts

October 3rd, 2010 10:00

This has been resolved....

After restoring the image to the larger drive, boot up the system, then go into Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Drive Management,

Right-click on the partition that contains your new image/install, then select Extend Partition.....and that's it! :emotion-1:

12.7K Posts

October 3rd, 2010 10:00

Woohoo, that was easy, well once you figured it out that is.

Thanks for posting the solution.

8 Posts

October 3rd, 2010 11:00

Thanks!  I should probably add, though, that there's a couple more things to do after you right click and select Extend Partition...

You have to tell it how much you want to extend the partition...it defaults to the maximum, which is what I left it at.

No Events found!