Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2014 18:00

Install Vista Home basic on Inspiron

I want to install Windows Vista Home Basic  32bit on an Inspiron 8600 laptop,  I have a suitable COA/product key from an old HP laptop with a dead hard drive.  I do not have an installation disk for Windows Vista Home Basic.  I tried using my Vista Home Premium disk that came with my Dell Desktop PC but, it has the product key built in and will not install Home Basic.  The Microsoft/Digital River site no longer works for Vista OS.  Where can I get a suitable disk or legal .iso download (no bit torrents)?

Thanks,

Ken

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 11th, 2014 00:00

HI Ken,

You will not be able to use the product key of Windows Vista Home Basic on Windows Vista Home Premium disc. Please reply us with system service tag, Name and your contact details so that we could check the system configuration and assist you. To send a private message, click on my name and select ‘Send private message’.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 11th, 2014 01:00

Keri

You need to check your license, if the COA comes from a HP laptop it is OEM and the license is not valid to transfer to a Dell. If its from a retail license then it is transferable see here for details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/the-oem-or-retail-license/

The boot.wim and install.wim still work from the Digital River website. You need the .exe which extracts them (which has a broken link) however its listed here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/download-vista-sp1-iso/

8 Posts

May 19th, 2014 17:00

Made an .iso install disk using the Digital River files for Vista Ultimate to load on my Dell Inspiron.  Entered my Home Basic product key from my old Acer laptop.  The product key determines which version gets loaded.   Windows Vista Home Basic loaded just fine.  Tried to activate on line but got a message saying "Illegal Copy" or something to that effect.  Activated by phone while talking to a Microsoft Service Rep.  The only pertinent question he asked was, "Are you installing on different hardware?"  I replied, "On a replacement hard drive." , which was true.   So apparently once you obtain a valid license (either OEM or Retail) you can use it as you like so long as you don't install on more than one computer and you go through Microsoft by phone to activate.  Thanks to all who replied to my post.

Ken

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 19th, 2014 20:00

You are incorrectly licensed, he activated it for you because he thought you only changed hard drive, not the entire system.

No Events found!