Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 4th, 2013 06:00

Install windows 8 using recovery disk on windows 7

I have a dell inspiron 15r turbo se (7520) with pre installed windows 8.

I am a big fan of Windows 7 rather than Windows 8.So i would like to completely remove windows 8 and install fresh windows 7 ultimate.

My problem is now that in future if i like to install windows 8 then will the recovery disk help me do that ??. Please help me.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

October 5th, 2013 11:00

The recovery disk doesn't contain the operating system.It allows you to access the recovery partition on the hard drive. If you install another operating system that usually makes the restore/recovery partition unusable. You cannot use the recovery disk to install windows 8 after installing another OS.. If you used Dell Backup and Recovery, you might have other options if you chose to copy the Factory Restore partition to the thumb drive. Boot to the recovery flash drive and see what you can do. You can test it out without actually reinstalling anything.

To reinstall windows 8 you most likely will need to request the disks from Dell: 

https://www.dell.com/support/diagnostics/us/en/19/nondiagnostichome?c=us&l=en&s=dhs

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 5th, 2013 14:00

To reinstall windows 8 you most likely will need to request the disks from Dell: 

https://www.dell.com/support/diagnostics/us/en/19/nondiagnostichome?c=us&l=en&s=dhs

That form is for US customers only; Vinayak-Hegde is in India ↔ to request a Windows 8 Reinstallation DVD you must phone Dell Technical Support India to procure one. 

Hopefully Microsoft will provide a direct link to a Windows 8.1 .iso for clean installation. They have modified the licensing terms of Windows 8.1 to make it much easier for customers and have acknowledged that customers like to clean install Windows, hopefully they reduce the problems with OEM-bloated installs and provide a .iso for that purpose.

Beginning with Windows 8.1, Microsoft is no longer selling separate upgrade and full price editions through retail partners or online. Instead, every retail copy includes a full license. The Windows 8.1 software can be used to upgrade Windows 7, or you can do a clean install, with no requirement to have a previous Windows version installed.

http://www.zdnet.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-your-windows-8-1-upgrade-options-7000021554/

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

October 4th, 2013 12:00

There is an easier way to make your win 8 computer look like windows 7. As soon as you boot the computer, click on the Desktop tile and go to the Desktop. Use it the same way as you did before in win 7--install programs, make shortcuts, pin programs you use often to the Taskbar, etc. You don't have to use the Start Screen very often. The Oct 18th update to win 8.1 will add more improvements. It's only 2 weeks away.

October 5th, 2013 09:00

Hello Mary G,

Thanks for the reply.

I love windows 8  and i use it in desktop mode. And i will be happy to try out 8.1.

But still i wanted to know whether the recovery disk be used for the fresh installation of windows 8.

Here is the situation --- I have completely removed the pre- installed windows 8 and installed windows 7 and  then if i want windows 8 back then can i use the recovery disk to get the pre installed version of windows 8???.

October 6th, 2013 09:00

Hello Mary G,

Thanks for the reply and thanks for clearing my doubt. :emotion-1:

October 6th, 2013 09:00

Hello Natakuc4,

Thanks for the details. I shall wait for 8.1 update and hope they provide .iso link for the installation. :emotion-1:

No Events found!