Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 18th, 2009 20:00

Installing Dual OS(Windows 7 and XP) on my Studio 1555 model

I recently purchased the studio 15 laptop which came with windows 7 home premium.I need to run certain applications (very important) that can only be run on windows xp sp2.I have tried a lot of times running the software in compatibility mode but it does not work out.I have finally decided to install xp along with windows 7.I have only 1 partition.I tried to boot with the xp disc but a blue screen comes and shows a fatal error.I contacted dell and they said it is due the the SATA mode selection AHCI and said if i change it into IDE I'll be able to install XP but will lose my ability to boot into windows 7.

Please tell me a detailed procedure to install dual operating system so that i can boot into the one of my choice.

December 21st, 2009 06:00

Problem solved.I installed dual Operating system with pre-installed Windows 7 with the help of other posts on this forum.This is what I did:

1.Partitioned the drive.

2.Changed SATA mode to IDE.

3.Installed Windows Xp successfully in another drive.

4.Installed all drivers given on the dell website.

5.Updated the driver to AHCI through device manager thru a file called iaAHCI.inf

6.Rebooted the system in AHCI mode.XP was running well

7.Booted the system with the Windows 7 DVD and and repaired startup.Rebooted again.

8.Windows 7 was running fine but not windows xp now.

9.Installed EasyBCD Utlity 1.7(made for Vista but works perfectly with Windows 7 too.

10.Rewrote the MBR through EasyBCD and setup boot records.

11.Restarted the system and it worked 100% fine.

5.2K Posts

December 18th, 2009 22:00

Windows 7 HP can be set up to run a virtual version of XP just like the Pro version. See this site:  

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/12/14/workaround-to-install-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7-home-premium-and-home-basic/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+FeedForMyDigitalLife+%28My+Digital+Life%29&utm_content=LocalHost

You need to download both the virtual engine and the virtual XP. You also need to go into Set-up to turn on virtualization. Haven't tried it yet, but should be OK.

December 19th, 2009 00:00

@KirkD

I have the Core 2 Duo T6600 processor which doesn't support virtualisation.Even the hardware tool at the microsoft website confirmed that my hardware requirements were not met to install Windows XP mode.Finally,I think the only way is to install XP in a dual boot environment but I need help in this regard.

37 Posts

March 22nd, 2010 17:00

Hello mukul_gupta21,
For the actual Windows 7 and XP -Yes you can "multiboot" to Windows XP and Windows 7. *(After installing Windows 7,  default Windows 7 is selected and that will be the primary choice for booting to Windows 7).
See the following detailed instructions on the Microsoft website:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Install-more-than-one-operating-system-multibootEssentially, these are the important steps to pay attention to:
"On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom.
On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, select the partition or disk where you want to install the new Windows operating system.
Be sure to install Windows on a different partition from the one where the earlier version of Windows is installed.
Click Next to begin the installation. You might see a compatibility report."

Additional information about Multiboot from the Microsoft website:
Can I have more than one operating system on my computer (multiboot)?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Can-I-have-more-than-one-operating-system-on-my-computer-multiboot

Let me know if this helps!
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

March 23rd, 2010 06:00

Your help is appreciated.Anyways,I did manage to install multi-boot with the procedure I mentioned in my earlier posts.It was similar to what you tell me.

Thanks

Mukul

No Events found!