Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 15th, 2013 14:00

Installing Windows 7

i'm trying to install Windows 7 on a Dell Vostro 430 but if i use the dell os disk it ask for a driver. if i use the oem disk it gets as far as beginning the install but then it stops saying that there are missing files and then it stops. i tried downloading and installing the SATA drivers from dell but they don't work. can some one tell me what's the correct way to install windows 7 from scratch on this computer?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

May 15th, 2013 16:00

Booting directly to the OS DVD is the correct way, but it sounds like you have some corrupt media.  

What is the EXACT message you get with either media?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 15th, 2013 22:00

I suggest downloading a Windows 7 install ISO from Digital River and burning it to DVD. Use the product key on your COA to activate.

May 17th, 2013 08:00

The problem was with the BIOS setting for drives i changed it from AHCI to SATA and it installed correctly.

thanks all for your suggestions.

May 17th, 2013 10:00

I tried it with dell drivers but it would take them.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

It costs a little, but using a third-party SATA card to boot from and then installing the missing drivers from Intel's download site is a lot less complicated than figuring out how to provide them on removable media.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

It's not a "problem" ... you needed drivers.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Which drivers did you try?  What was the EXACT message you were getting, and at what point during Setup?  (If you are still interesting in why/how.)

"It costs a little, but using a third-party SATA card to boot from and then installing the missing drivers from Intel's download site is a lot less complicated than figuring out how to provide them on removable media. "

I'm not sure I understand this ... providing drivers for Windows 7 is easy.

May 17th, 2013 12:00

i was getting a message that said that the cd/dvd driver was needed.

i downloaded from dell the pre os ahci driver.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 18th, 2013 00:00

I'm not sure I understand this ... providing drivers for Windows 7 is easy.

You have to find them, extract them to removable media, and provide them to Windows. It's not so easy if you're not experienced.

The third-party SATA card allows the drivers to be installed from Intel's online chipset software installation utility.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

May 18th, 2013 16:00

Finding them is hardly rocket science, but is probably the most "difficult" part of this process.  "extract them to removable media" equates to little more than running the EXE that you download and either specifying a flash drive as the target to extract to or extract to the hard drive then simply drag/drop the files to USB.  "provide them to Windows" is a matter simply of clicking the Load Drivers link and browsing to the location on the flash drive.  I can't possibly see how that is more difficult than buying and installing a third-party controller for the "inexperienced" user.

"i downloaded from dell the pre os ahci driver"

This one for 64-bit?

ftp.dell.com/.../INTEL_MATRIX-STORAGE-MANAGER_A06_R263365.exe

or this one for 32-bit (which one did you install)?

ftp.dell.com/.../R243678.exe

What did you do with the file from the time you downloaded it until the time you "loaded" it in the OS?

Another alternative would be to install from USB:

www.maximumpc.com/.../how_install_windows_7_usb_key

May 20th, 2013 05:00

i had seen the maximumpc.com article on doing the install from usb. i will give that a try this week. thanks.

i downloaded the 32 bit version. the version of windows 7 i have is 32 bits.

of course i did all that!

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 20th, 2013 11:00

i downloaded the 32 bit version. the version of windows 7 i have is 32 bits.

Your product key will work with the 64-bit version, too.

No Events found!